Maj Gen (Dr) Rashmi Datta, VSM, (Retd)
MBBS, MD(Anaes), DNB (GenMed), DNB (Aviation Med)
Professor & HOD, Department of Emergency Medicine
Reg. Number: DMC- AF
Maj Gen Rashmi Datta, VSM (Retd) is an alumnus of Indra Gandhi Medical College, Shimla and after completing her MBBS in 1983, was commissioned into AMC in Sep 1984.
Over the past three and a half decades, has actively participated in various Operations in the Army as well as the relief and rescue work during accidents and natural calamities (Bhuj earthquake in 2001, J&K earthquake in 2005 and Nepal earthquake in 2015). She was posted as faculty in AFMC for 5 years and the Professor and Head of Department of Anaesthesiology, at both Army Hospital (R & R) Delhi Cantt and Base Hosp, Delhi Cantt. She also represented AFMS in the Indo-Pacific Command HADR Ex “Cobra Gold” conducted in Bangkok in Feb 2017
As Comdt CH(WC) the hospital got the twin recognition of the best hospital in the Raksha Mantri Trophy and the Western Command Unit Citation during her tenure. She was instrumental in setting up the first quarantine camp for CoVid-19 at Manesar whose model was successfully replicated in all the three services.
Area of Interest
- Critical Care
- Pain Management
|Degree||Year||Name of College & University||Registration Number||Date of Registration|
|MD||1992||Army Hospital, Delhi Cantt, Delhi University|
|DNB (Gen Med)||1988||Diplomate of National Board|
|DNB (Aviation Med)||1987||Punjab Medical Council|
|MBBS||1984||Indra Gandhi Medical College, Shimla|
Deatils of Teaching Experience
|Prof||16 Years 8 months (wef Jan 2005)|
|Assoc Prof||4 years|
|Asst Prof||5 years|
- Col Rashmi Datta, Maj Shamik Paul, Brig Navdeep Lamba. “From Base Hospital to Base Hospital: An Overview of Battlefield Pain Management” –Journal of Combat Medical Support & Logistics 2012;2(1):27-34 ISSN 2249-6734 2011.
- Col Rashmi Datta, Brig KK Upadhyay, Surg Cdr CN Jaideep. “Simulation and its Role in Medical Education”. MJAFI 2012;68:167-172.
- Col Rashmi Datta, Brig Navdeep Lamba. “Intracranial Pressure Monitoring in the Critically Ill Patient” – National Journal of Neurosciences, Nov 2012
- Col Rashmi Datta, Air Cmde R Chaturvedi, Lt Col A Rudra, Surg Cdr CN Jaideep. “End–of–Life Issues In The Management of Critically-Ill Patients”- MJAFI 2013;69:48-53.
- Col Shivinder Singh, Air Cmde R. Chaturvedi, Brig SM Garg, Col Rashmi Datta, Maj Ambikesh Kumar. Incidence of healthcare associated infection in the surgical ICU of a tertiary care hospital. MJAFI 2013; 69(2):124-129.
- Maj Indranil Sikdar, Col Shivinder Singh, Col Rangraj Setlur, Brig CVR Mohan (Retd), Col Rashmi Datta, SR Patrikar. A prospective review of the labor analgesia programme in a teaching hospital. MJAFI 2013; 69 (4): 361-365.
- Col (Mrs) Rashmi Datta, Col Deepak Sreevastava, Maj Shamil Paul, Maj Gunjan. “Combat Trauma Management Course” – Time to Seize the Initiative. Journal of Combat Medical Support & Logistics ISSN2249-6734 2013; 3(1):1-8
- Jaiswal SK, Sreevastava DK, Datta R, Lamba NS. Unusual occurrence of massive subcutaneous emphysema during ERCP under general anaesthesia. Indian J Anaesth 2013;57:615-7
- Col Rashmi Datta, Brig Ajay Sharma. Management of a Case of Pregnancy with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia Jan 2014; 61(1): 88-89 CJA-D-13-00440R1.
- Datta R, Nair R, Pandey A, Kumar N, Sahoo T. Hydroxyeyhyl starch: Controversies revisited . J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol 2014;30:472-80
- Brig (Ms) Rashmi Datta, Gp Capt RM Sharma, Lt Col Amit Rai, Lt Col Alok. Combat Cas Tpt Dilemmas: An Analysis. Journal of Combat Medical Support & Logistics ISSN2249-6734 2013-14; 3(2):78-87.
- Datta R, Dhar M. Mirror therapy – An Adjuvant to Conventional Pharmacotherapy in Phantom Limb Pain. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2015 Oct-Dec;31(4):575-8.
- Datta R, Agarwal J, Sharma DK. Anaesthetic considerations in an orphan disease with skeletal anomalies. Indian J Anaesth. 2016 Oct;60(10):780-782.
- Agarwal J, Datta R, Jaideep CN, Sharma A. Angelman syndrome and anaesthetic considerations. Indian J Anaesth. 2017 Jan;61(1):78-80
- Brig (Ms) Rashmi Datta, Col Pradhi Nambiar, Brig Atul Sood. A National Armed Forces Organ Retrieval Network – the need of the hour! Journal of Combat Medical Support & Logistics ISSN2249-6734 2013-14; 3(2):78-87.
- Datta R, Purohit G, Agrawal J, Singh S. Pericardial tamponade: Rare complication of subclavian vein cannulation. Med J Armed Forces India. 2018 Jul;74(3):294-296.
- Singh S, Khandelwal A, Datta R, Kaushal A, Singh GP. Recurrent Metabolic Acidosis during High-dose Midazolam Therapy for Refractory Status Epilepticus. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2018 Feb;22(2):119-121.
- Datta R, Agrawal J, Sharma A, Rathore VS, Datta S. A study of the efficacy of stellate ganglion blocks in complex regional pain syndromes of the upper body. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2017 Oct-Dec;33(4):534-540.
- Datta R, Agrawal J, Narula G, Pawha B. A fluoroscopic assessment of brachial plexus block by the supraclavicular approach: Have we been overmedicating? MJAFI https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mjafi.2019.06.004
- Singh S, Kate S, Datta R, Suhag V. Anaesthetic management of a rare case of Langerhans cell histiocytosis. Indian J Anaesth. 2019 Oct;63(10):866-868.
- Datta R, Sharma P, Yadav R, Kulkarni SN. Airway And Respiratory Management Protocols In Tactical Combat Casualty Care - Updates In Recent Years. International Journal of Scientific Research, 9(2) Feb 2020.
- Srivastava V, Nakra M, Shankar A, Datta R. Optimal management of brain-dead organ donor. MJAFI Jan 2021;77(1):1-5
- Malhotra N, Joshi M, Datta R, Bajwa SJS, Mehdiratta L. Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists (ISA National) Advisory and Position Statement regarding COVID-19. Indian J Anaesth. 2020 Apr;64(4):259-263.
- Sharma A, Datta R, Sharma VB. Effect of oral gabapentin vs. pregabalin as preemptive analgesic for postoperative pain in patients undergoing lumbar spine surgeries. Int J Health Sci Res. 2020; 10(5):181-191.
- Singh S, Kaushal A, Datta R, Unnithan RR, Mishra N. A Rare Case of Epileptic Seizure After-effect Resulting in Nontraumatic Spontaneous Subdural Hemorrhage. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2020 Aug;24(8):722-723.
- Malhotra N, Joshi M, Datta R, Bajwa SJ, Mehdiratta L. Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists (ISA National) Advisory and Position Statement regarding COVID-19. Indian J Anaesth 2020;64:259-63.
- Datta R. COVID-2019: Experience of setting up quarantine center. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2020 Aug;36(Suppl 1):S14-S18.
- Datta R, Singh S. Artificial intelligence in critical care: Its about time! MJAFI. Available online 18 March 2021https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mjafi.2020.10.005
- Datta R, Setlur R, Lamba N.Correlation Coefficient Between Plethysmographic Variability Index and Systolic Pressure Variation as an Indicator for Fluid Responsiveness in Hypotensive Patients in the ICU/OT. Accepted for publication in MJAFI
Research Work & Projects
- A Prospective Comparison of the Diagnostic Yield of Blind Tracheal Aspiration with Bronchoalveolar Lavage in Patients with Ventilator Associated Pneumonia
- A Study of Correlation Coefficient between Plethysomographic Variability Index and Systolic Pressure Variation as an Indicator for Fluid Responsiveness in Hypotensive Patients in the ICU/OT of a Tertiary Care Center
- Co-worker: A Study of Correlation Of Extravascular Lung Water and Lung Compliance In Mechanically Ventilated Patients in the ICU of A Tertiary Care Center
- Chief of Army Staff Commendation – 2002
- General Officer Commanding-In-Chief (Southern Command) Commendation - 2011
- Chief of Army Staff Commendation – 2012
- General Officer Commanding-In-Chief (Western Command) Commendation – 2012
- Vishisth Seva Medal (Distinguished Service Medal) is awarded by the President of India for exceptional, meritorious service beyond call of duty - 26 Jan 2016
- Chief of Air Staff Award for Best Published Paper in Surgery & Allied Subjects- 2011
- Fellowship of Indian College of Anaesthesiologists – 04 Jul 2015
- Indian Society of Anaesthesiologist’s President’s Appreciation Award- 2019
Membership of Academic Bodies Societies
- Medical Council of India: Recognised as a Professor (Membership No: 23128)
- Life member of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists (Membership No: R-786 / 10804)
- Founder Member & President Society of Defence Anaesthesiologists, State Chapter of ISA
- Life member of Research Society of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology (Membership No: L-D074)
- Life member of Indian Society for the Study of Pain (Membership No: D-103)
- Life member of Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine (Membership No: 23128)
- Life member of Association of Obstetric Anaesthesiologists (Membership No: AOA-D-09)
- Life member of Indian College of Critical Care (Membership No: 10/D-302)
- Life member of Indian College of Anaesthesiologists(Membership No: ICA no 372)
- Life member of Indian Nephrology Society (Membership No: R-559/85)
- Member of European Society of Regional Anaesthesia
Invited Talks and Lectures
- AMC Centre & College, Lucknow. “Technological trends in health care delivery: induction challenges and its impact on the training of health care providers of AFMS . 15-16 Sep 2016 Technological innovations in your speciality.
- ISACON -2016 64th National Conference of ISA, Ludhiana. 26-29 Nov 2016. “Anesthetic issues for a patient on dialysis”
- ISACON -2016 64th National Conference of ISA, Ludhiana. 26-29 Nov 2016 “How to Improve your CV”
- Post Graduate Assembly 2017. 20-26 Feb 2017; 24 Feb 2017 “Anaesthesia Concerns for a patient with Obstructive Jaundice for major Abdominal Surgery”
- ISACON Delhi 2017.“Maternal Somatic Support & Perimortem Child Birth”. 08-09 Apr 2017
- Conclave on “Legal and Ethical Challenges in Healthcare Ecosystem, New Delhi. 18-20 May 2017. Panel Discussion- Errors in Medical Practice: What can go wrong
- ISA North Zone PG Assembly, UCMS, Delhi, 21-27 Aug 2017. 26 Aug 2017.” Anaesthetic Management of Obstructive Jaundice for Major Surgery”
- 14th Annual Conference ISA Haryana State Branch 2017 Keynote Address. 10 Dec 2017. “Quality and Patient Safety : The Essence Of Anaesthesia Practice”
- CME on Resuscitation in Trauma & Perioperative Care; Chandigarh Chapter of ISA, PGI, Chandigarh. 29 Mar 2018. “Fluid & Haemostatic Resuscitation in Trauma”
- Intercommand CNE “Hospital Acquired Infections” Command Hospital (Western Command), Chandimandir 11-12 Aug 2018. “Safety & Quality in Health Care- Prevention of HAI”.
- PCCM-CME 2018. “Controversies in Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine”, Pt BD Sharma PGIMS, Rohtak, 02 Sep 2018. “Weaning from Mechanical ventilation”
- AIIMS Anaesthesiology PG Assembly. 18-19 Oct 2018. “Neuroaxial blocks & Anticoagulants”.
- SURGICON-2018 CME- Hand Injuries: Current and the Future. 20-21 Oct 2018. “Anaesthesia for Hand Surgery”
- Army Institute of Education, International Conference on “Innovative & Creative Education & Teaching” 30 Mar 2019. Special Address.
- ISACON –Delhi Annual Conference 2019. 13-15 Apr 2019. Keynote Address “Artificial intelligence in Anaesthesiology”.
- RSACPCON- 2019, PGIMS, Rohtak, Haryana. 27-28 Apr 2019. “Simulation as a Teaching Module”
- Anaesthesia Update 2019. “Anaesthesia Healthcare Delivery: Expanding Contensions & Evolving Care”. 07 Jul 2019. “Massive Blood Transfusion Protocols & How to minimize Complications”
- OTC , AMC Center & College, Lucknow. Tactical Combat Casuality Care in IA: Need of the Hour. 08-09 Aug 2019. “Recent Trends In Fluid Resuscitation In Combat Zone”
- 11th National and 1st International Conference of the Indian College of Anaesthesiologists, ICACON 2019, SGRH, Delhi. Evidence Based Medicine to Patient Outcomes. 06-09 Sep 2019. “Artificial intelligence and intelligence augmentation – In anaesthesia practice”
- AIIMS Anaesthesiology Post Graduate Assembly 2019. 29-03 Oct 2019. Regional Anaesthesia & anticoagulation- Current guidelines & management in post valve replacement patients
- Facts or Myths in Anaesthesiology. CME on Extremes of Age. 14-15 Dec 2019. Alzheimer’s Disease and TKR: Anaesthesia Concerns.
- Resuscitation & Life Support Skills in Emergency M Department. 09 Feb 2020. “Basic Airway management”
- 2nd Training Course on CBRN Emergency Management for IB Offrs. 19 Feb 2020. “Isolation & Quarantine wards: Mitigation of Biological emergencies (Case Study: Corona Virus)”
- ICA Webinar. 05 Aug 2020. Deceased Donor Management for Organ Transplantation
- ISA Kerala Webinar: 08 Mar 2021. Acute pain management
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Organised
- Organizing Secy, National CME “Widening Horizons in Anaesthesiology " -AFMC 18-19 Oct 2008
- Chairperson, Scientific Committee, National CME “Expanding Frontiers in Anaesthesiology & Critical Care” AFMC – 25-26 Sep, 2010
- Military Anaesthesia Forum, 61st National Conference Guwahati 26-29 Dec 2013
- National 4th Mid Term Conference and 5th Convocation of Indian College of Anaesthesiologists Base Hospital, Delhi Cantt. 28-29 Jun 2014
- 1st Mid-Term Conference of State Chapter of ISA. 31 Jul-01 Aug 2021
- Conducted Workshop on “Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification Capsule” Army Hospital (R&R) - 26-27 Mar 2011.
- Conducted Workshop on “Army Resuscitation and Life Support” Army Hospital (R&R) - 18 Sep 2011 and 14 Oct 2012
- “Ultrasound in Obstetrics” in 5th National Conference of the Association of Obstetric Anaesthesiologists Sir Ganga Ram Hospital- 07-09 Sep 2012
- CME “Resuscitation – 2015” Base Hospital, Delhi Cantt. 11-12 Oct 2014 and 02-03 May 2015
- Organ Donation Awareness Programme on 21 Aug 2015. Base Hospital, Delhi Cantt
- For regular conduction of courses in Advanced Life support and Resuscitation for the Medical Officers in AFMC
- On panel of National Organ & Tissue Transplantation Organization (NOTTO) where contributed to the framing of National Guidelines on Organ Donor Management, under the Dir Gen of Health Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt of India.
- On the Managing Council of the Indian Resuscitation Council, affiliated with the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation which has formulated Indian guidelines on CPR.
- On panel for framing of National Guidelines of the Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists (ISA National) Advisory and Position Statement regarding COVID-19.
- Expert for – Armed Forces Medical Research Council
- Represented India in the HADR Ex “Cobra Gold” the largest Indo-Pacific, multinational military exercise conducted in Bangkok in Feb 2017
- MCI and DNB Examiner and Inspector - Delhi University
- MCI and DNB Examiner and Inspector - Pandit Bhagwat Dayal Sharma. University Of Health Sciences Rohtak
- MCI and DNB Examiner and Inspector - MUHS, University
- MCI and DNB Examiner and Inspector - Rajiv Gandhi University, Mysore
- MCI and DNB Examiner and Inspector - Dr DY Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune