Dr. Aruna Nigam
Professor, Department of Medical Education Unit
Reg. Number: DMC-35382
1 am working as Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (OBG), HIMSR. OBG is a field of medicine which deals with 2 lives and related with whole family. Education in this field needs good communication, ethical principles, compassion, medical humanity. Therefore, I have a passion to teach my students all these principles together to make them proficient to deal with all the difficult situations and that is why I am always thriving to find out new methods of teaching. I am specially interested in teaching skill using various indigenous, cost- effective models. I am also author of mobile app on “Mechanism of labour for postgraduates and undergraduates” first of its kind ( have more than 5000 download all over the world in one year time of release)for which I got special achievement award in women scientist category by the university.
I regularly organize educational workshops and part of various committees which are working towards improving medical education.
Area of Interest
- Innovations in teaching methods & assessment
- Skill trainings
- Teaching communication and ethics
|Degree||Year||Name of College & University||Registration Number||Date of Registration|
|MS||2003||G.S.V.M. Medical College, Kanpur||35382 - DMC|
|MBBS||1998||G.S.V.M. Medical College, Kanpur||35382 - DMC|
Deatils of Teaching Experience
|Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||30-09-2016||Till Date||5 years|
|Associate Profesor||HIMSR, New Delhi||29-12-2012||29-09-2016||3 years 9 months|
|Assistant Professor||LHMC, Delhi||04-04-2009||28-12-2012||3 year 9 months|
|Senior Research Associate||LHMC, Delhi||27-11-2007||01-01-2009||1 year 1month|
|Assistant Professor||ELMCH, Lucknow||07-06-2005||08-10-2007||2 year 5 months|
|Senior Resident||ELMCH, Lucknow||18-07-2003||28-03-2004||8 months|
|Postgraduate Resident||GSVM, Kanpur||12-05-2000||11-05-2003||3 years|
- Nigam A, Somyaa. Informed consent document and process. In: Ethics In Clinical Research Ed by Munjal Yp, Prakash A, Pangtey GS. First edition 2019:23-30. ISBN 978-81-939995-2-3
- Sharma S, Nigam A. Public forum by undergraduate Medical students during clinical postings: A way to improve the communication skill. Indian J Med Spec 2019;10:22-5
- Nigam A, Saxena P. Study designs for Research. Page 62-71. Hand book on Research Methodology edited by Prakash A, Pangtey G, Munjal YP Published by Physician research foundation 2018
- Nigam A, Saxena P. writing an introduction of research article. Pearls on scientific Paper writing. Page 14-17, Editors YP Munjal, Prakash A, Pangtey GP. Published by Physician Research foundation (Research Wing API)
- Saxena P, Nigam A. Authorships and Acknowledgement. Pearls on scientific Paper writing. Page 58-62, Editors YP Munjal, Prakash A, Pangtey GP. Published by Physician Research foundation (Research Wing API)
- Mentoring in Medicine: Introducing a structured programme in a Medical College in Delhi. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science 2017;16(1):29
- Prakash A, Saxena P, Nigam A. Clinical trials in india: the current scenario and a practical perspective. IJMS 2015;6:131-4
- Scientific study designs for research: an overview. Acharya AS, Prakash A, Nigam A, Saxena P. IJMS 2012;3:191-4
- How to design and conduct a Randomised Controlled Trial. Saxena P, Prakash A, Acharya AS, Nigam A. IJMS 2012;3:198-202
- Statistical tests of significance: an overview of the basic concepts. Prakash J, Nigam A, Saxena P, Acharya AS. IJMS 2012;3:203-6
- Selecting a study design for research. Saxena P, Prakash A, Acharaya AS, Nigam A. IJMS 2013; 4(2):330-33
- Sampling: Why and How of it? Acharaya AS, Prakash A, Saxena P, Nigam A. IJMS 2013; 4(2):334-39
Research Work & Projects
- Award of Research Associate by ICMR on the research project “To evaluate the efficacy of Misoprostol for induction of labour at term.”
- Guided ICMR STS project 2005 of Miss Kalpana Baghel titled “Insulin Resistance Syndrome in Adolescents and Young Adults.”
- Award of Senior Research Associate by CSIR on the research project “Efficacy of Laparohysteroscopy in the management of infertility”.
- “Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices” study on Family Planning, 2006.
- To study the Fertility profile of females in and around Lucknow, 2006.
- “Bone mineral density in healthy Indian females”, 2006-07.
- Intramural research project on “Insulin Resistance Syndrome”, 2005-07.
- Post partum depression and its correlates, 2007.
- Acceptability of postpartum intrauterine device insertion at Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research- 2013
- Change in hematological profile of postpartum women- 2013
- Prevalence of urinary dysfunction among postpartum women-2014
- Co-guide in the postgraduate thesis of ‘Postpartum depression and its correlates’ 2013-14.
- Basic course in medical education 2014.
- Revised basic course in medical education from MAMC in 2015.
- AT-COM course in medical education from MAMC in 2018.
- Advanced course in medical education from CMC , Ludhiana 2016 .
- CISP training programme in 2019.
- Awarded Membership of National Academy of Medical Sciences.
- FICOG in 2016.
- Amar Shyam Oration award in 2017.
- Dr UP Jha and Raj Soni Gold Medal for best paper presentation in endoscopy in AOGD 2019.
- Best poster presentation award in International IFCPC conference 2021
Membership of Academic Bodies Societies
- Life Member of Association of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Delhi (AOGD), Diabetes in Pregnancy Study Group of India (DIPSI), Indian Society for Atherosclerosis Research (ISAR), Delhi Diabetic Forum, Gynaecology endocrinology society of India (GESI), NARCHI, ISCCP, SOVSI,
- Association of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Delhi
- Federation of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Society of still birth of India
- Diabetes in Pregnancy Study Group of India
- Indian Society for Atherosclerosis Research
- Delhi Diabetic Forum
- Gynaecology endocrinology society of India
- Society of vaginal surgeons of Delhi
- National association of reproductive and child health , India
- Indian Society of colposcopy and cervical pathology
- Society of vaginal surgeons of India
- Editor-in- Chief of Pan Asian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Editor-in- Chief of ISCCP Newsletter
- National Corresponding Editor of Journal of obstetrics and Gynaecology of India
- Editorial board member of Indian Journal of medical Specialities
- Editorial board member of Journal of Case Reports
Invited Talks and Lectures
- Took lectures on clinical teaching and MCQ in Revised basic course organized by HIMSR between 24-26th Aug 2021
- Took lecture on NMC document in CBME webinar organized by FDP, FOGSI on 8th Aug, 2021
- Took lecture on Plagiarism in webinar organized by Akali nursing college , Himanchal Pradesh on 22nd July 2021
- Took lecture on “Ethical principles guiding research” in PICSEP webinar organized by Bikaner and all Rajasthan Gynaecologists & Obstetricians Societies, Raj Connect 2021 on 31st July, 2021
- Took lecture On Scientific Misconduct and Misdeeds on 18th June’2021 in PICSEP workshop in East Zone Yuva FOGSI conference organized by JOGI and Siliguri Obst and Gynae Society
- Took lecture on effective clinical teaching in revised basic course workshop in medical technologies organized by MEU, HIMSR from 6th -8th April , 2021
- Took lecture on assessment of clinical teaching in revised basic course workshop in medical technologies organized by MEU, HIMSR from 6th -8th April , 2021
- Delivered lecture on effective clinical teaching on 9th Jan 2021 in the e CME on Competency based medical education.
- Took lecture on AETCOM on 23rd sept 2020 in CISP II organized by HIMSR
- Took lecture on student doctor method in CISP II on 24th sept 2020 organized at HIMSR
- Organized and resource faculty in CISP II at HIMSR on 23rd and 24th sept, 2020
- Took lecture on Plagiarism on 27th May 2019 at NEIGRIMS, Shillong
- Took lecture on “Reference and Bibliography” in the National Research Conference cum workshop on 13.1.19 at Holiday Inn, Delhi organized by Physician Research foundation, API
- Took lecture on “newer teaching learning and assessment methods in module” on 6th august 2018 in capacity building workshop of project “integration of maternal , infant and young child nutrition in MBBS curriculum” at HIMSR
- Took lecture on Assessment methods of various tea ching and clinical skills on 9-12th July.2018
- Took lecture on ‘Overview of Research” the CME on ‘Writing a Research Paper’ on 7th May 2018 at HIMSR
- Delivered lecture on ‘Research-an Overview’ at MEDICON 2013 at UCMS hospital, Delhi
- Delivered lecture on ‘How to write an introduction’ at MEDICON 2013 at UCMS hospital, Delhi
- Delivered lecture on ‘How to write an introduction’ at Mewat in Medical college 2014
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Organised
- Organizing team member for Revised basic course organized by HIMSR between 24-26th Aug 2021
- Organizing team member for revised basic course workshop in medical technologies , HIMSR from 6th -8th April , 2021
- Organizing team member for CISP II on 23rd & 24th sept 2020 organized at HIMSR
- Organized and resource faculty in CISP II at HIMSR on 23rd and 24th sept, 2020
- Organizing team member in capacity building workshop of project “integration of maternal , infant and young child nutrition in MBBS curriculum” at HIMSR on 6th august 2018
- Organized CME on ‘Writing a Research Paper’ on 7th May 2018 at HIMSR
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Attended
- Basic course in medical education 2014
- Revised basic course in medical education from MAMC in 2015
- AT-COM course in medical education from MAMC in 2018
- Advanced course in medical education from CMC , Ludhiana 2016
- CISP training programme in 2019