Dr. Sana Alam
MBBS, MD Biochemistry
Associate professor, Department of Biochemistry
Reg. Number: DMC-63970
Dr. Sana Alam has completed her M.B.B.S.(2008) and MD Biochemistry(2013) from esteemed Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College (JNMC), Aligarh Muslim University(A.M.U). Presently, she is working as Associate Professor in Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, New Delhi.She has total teaching experience of more than 10 years in her field and is also the UG-teaching incharge from Biochemistry. She has many publications in both national and international indexed journals. She did research on glycation of H2A histone in SLE patients as a part of her dissertation. She has supervised many MBBS students in prestigious STS-ICMR research projects and also guiding MSc students in biochemistry. She is also supervising PG students and currently involved in various research projects in her institute. She wants to build a strong foundation for her students and instil in them a scientific acumen so that they can carry out cutting-edge research in their careers. Moreover, she takes part in various responsibilities and is working continuously towards improvement of the quality of medical education in her institute so that it becomes at par with the best in the world.
Area of Interest
- Glycation of proteins, DNA
- Insulin resistance and pre-diabetes
- Pathophysiology of diabetes and its complications
|Degree||Year||Name of College & University||Registration Number||Date of Registration|
Deatils of Teaching Experience
|Associate Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||05-04-2021||Till Date|
|Assistant Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||12-03-2014||04-04-2021||7 years|
|Demonstrator||HIMSR, New Delhi||14-8-2013||11-03-2014||7 months|
|Junior resident||JNMC, AMU||30-06-2010||29-06-2013||3 years|
- Aggarwal N, Raghav S, Ohri A, Alam S. Effectiveness of probiotics. Int J Acad Med Pharm. 2022;4(3):270-4
- Glycated-H2A histone is better bound by serum anti-DNA autoantibodies in SLE patients: Glycated-histones as likely trigger for SLE? (Original Article). Sana Alam, Zarina Arif, and Khursheed Alam. Journal of Autoimmunity.2014;1-10
- Newer insights in drugs inhibiting formation and accumulation of advanced glycation end products. (Review Article). Sana Alam, Akif Ahsan and Sarah Alam. Journal of Biochemical Technology.2013; 5(1): 666-672
- Accumulation of AGEs in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) - 5 Year Update. (Mini Review). Sana Alam and Akif Ahsan. Postgraduate Journal of Medical Research. 2013; 2(1):142-146.
- Alpha-1 Antitrypsin, a Diagnostic and Prognostic Marker of Vernal Keratoconjunctivitis (Original Article). Akif Ahsan, Khushtar A Salman, Sana Alam, Iqbal M Khan, Syed Shariq Naeem, Aquil Ahmad and Anwar H Siddiqui. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2014;8(5): 08-10
- Protein creatinine index: A possible predictor of nephropathy in hypertensives, in Northern India (Original Article). Akif Ahsan, Kush Manna, Gajraj S.Yadav, Arsalan Moinuddin, Aquil Ahmad, R.C. Gupta, Sana Alam. Clinica Chimica Acta. 2016; 460: 18 –22
- Protein Creatinine Index: An Alternative for Screening Nephropathy in Hypertensives. (Original Article). Akif Ahsan , Arsalan Moinuddin , Anwar Hasan Siddiqui, Sana Alam, Ahmad, Aquil. Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research. Mar2018, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p15-18.
- Methylglyoxal Modified DNA: A Possible Trigger in the Pathophysiology of Diabetes Mellitus. (Original Article). Sana Alam, Aditya Verma, Akif Ahsan, Sarita Agarwal. Biochemistry: An Indian Journal .2018;12(2):129
- Feedback of Second-Year Medical Students on Existing Teaching Methodology in Pharmacology: A Questionnaire-Based Study (Original Article). Sana Alam, Zenis Baluja, Nusrat Nabi. International Archives of BioMedical and Clinical Research (IABCR) has been provisionally accepted for publication as Original Research (Jan - Mar Vol 5 Issue 1 2019)
- Methylglyoxal and soluble RAGE in type 2 diabetes mellitus: association with oxidative stress. (Original Article). Alisha Reyaz, Sana Alam, Kailash Chandra, Sunil Kohli, Sarita Agarwal. Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders e-ISSN 2251-6581 J Diabetes Metab Disord DOI 10.1007/s40200-020-00543-y
- COVID-19 and geriatric population: from pathophysiology to clinical perspectives: Swanjal Bansod, Ashok Kumar Ahirwar, Apurva Sakarde, Priyanka Asia, Niranjan Gopal, Sana Alam, Kirti Kaim, Pradeep Ahirwar and Smita R. Sorte. Horm Mol Biol Clin Invest 2021, https://doi.org/10.1515/hmbci-2020-0053
- COVID-19 and cardiovascular disease: a review of current knowledge: Astha Pal, Ashok Kumar Ahirwar, Apurva Sakarde, Priyanka Asia, Niranjan Gopal, Sana Alam, Kirti Kaim, Pradeep Ahirwar and Smita R. Sorte. Horm Mol Biol Clin Invest 2021,https://doi.org/10.1515/hmbci-2020-0052.
- Diagnostic Errors in Ophthalmic Practice during COVID-19 Pandemic : Faizan Mehmood,, Nabeel Firoz, Jyoti Shukla, Sana Alam and Pooja Mishra. Acta Scientific Ophthalmology 4.5 (2021): 123-127.
Research Work & Projects
- 2020- SHORT TERM STUDENTSHIP PROGRAM (STS), promoted by The Indian Council of Medical RESEARCH (ICMR); Project titled “Study analyzing the possible role of glycated DNA in the pathophysiology of Pre-diabetes” has been selected (Reference ID 2020 - 10272). (Name of the student - Abhishek Dikshit, MBBS batch 2019, Name of the guide- Dr. Sana Alam, Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry)
- 2020- Intramural project titled “Utility of hematological & biochemical parameters as a screening tool for assessing COVID-19 infection and its severity as Co-investigator
- 2016- SHORT TERM STUDENTSHIP PROGRAM (STS), promoted by The Indian Council of Medical RESEARCH (ICMR); Project titled “Methylglyoxal modified DNA as a marker in diabetes pathophysiology” promoted by The Indian Council of Medical Research (Reference Id 2016-02022) has been awarded. (Name of the student-Aditya Verma, Name of the guide- Dr. Sana Alam, Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry)
- 2018- SHORT TERM STUDENTSHIP PROGRAM (STS), promoted by The Indian Council of Medical RESEARCH (ICMR); Project titled “Glycated albumin as a novel marker for detecting pre-diabetes” promoted by The Indian Council of Medical Research (Reference Id 2018-02650) has been awarded. (Name of the student-Fahad Ahmad, Name of the guide- Dr. Sana Alam, Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry)
- 2018- Intramural project accepted titled “Relationship between insulin resistance and hematological parameters in semi urban pre-diabetic population of South Delhi”: An emerging link as Principal Investigator
- SRI VENKATESHWARA CARDIAC RESEARCH MEDAL FOR CLINICAL RESEARCH ON ATHEROSCLEROSIS & ALLIED ASPECTS on the topic: Ischemia modified albumin, a newer biochemical marker for early diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome- pilot study in Indian society for atherosclerosis research & CME (ISARCON – 2015) held in HIMSR, JAMIA HAMDARD, 29th -31st October 2015.
Membership of Academic Bodies Societies
- INDIAN SOCIETY FOR ATHEROSCLEROSIS AND RESEARCH Delhi chapter ISARCON (membership number LM-50)
- EXECUTIVE MEMBER OF INDIAN SOCIETY FOR ATHEROSCLEROSIS AND RESEARCH (membership number LM-347)
Invited Talks and Lectures
- Ischemia modified albumin, a newer biochemical marker for early diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome- Pilot study
- Indian society for atherosclerosis research & CME (ISARCON -2015), HIMSR, JAMIA HAMDARD, 29 TH -31 ST October 2015
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Organised
- CME on World Diabetes Day organized by Department of Biochemistry & Medicine, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard on 13th November 2017.
- UGC-SAP sponsored National Conference on chronic inflammatory diseases 13-15 feb 2014, Department of Biochemistry, HIMSR, JAMIA HAMDARD.
- Indian society for atherosclerosis research & CME (ISARCON -2015), Department of Biochemistry, HIMSR, JAMIA HAMDARD, 29TH-31ST October 2015.
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Attended
- Pre-conference workshop on Medical education, organized by Department of Physiology , HIMSR, New Delhi on 17th March, 2021.
- Pre-conference workshop on recent advances in Physiological techniques, organized by Department of Physiology , HIMSR, New Delhi on 17th March, 2021.
- Workshop on Efficient ,quality-assured data capture using a mobile phone organized by Department of Community Medicine, HIMSR, New Delhi, held on 23rd January,2021.
- Workshop on Curriculum Implementation Support Programme (CISP II) organized by Medical Education Unit, HIMSR, New Delhi, held on 23rd-24th September, 2020.
- Method validation and verification –CLSI Perspective, conducted by Department of Biochemistry at PGIMER-Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital , New Delhi from 3rd-4th October 2018.
- Workshop cum awareness program on “Pharmacovigilance :A Tool to ensure drug safety” conducted by Department of Pharmacology , HIMSR ,New Delhi held on 21st November,2019.
- Revised basic course workshop in Medical Educational technologies, conducted by Maulana Azad Medical college , Delhi, Regional Centre in Medical Educational technologies, held at HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi from 9th to 11th july, 2018.
- Participated in Sensitization Programme for Attitude , Ethics and Communication (AETCOM) module conducted by conducted by Maulana Azad Medical college , Delhi, Regional Centre in Medical Educational technologies, held at HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi on 12th july 2018.
- Workshop and hands on training on clinical learning organized by Medical Education Unit, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi on 4th April, 2018.
- Participated in Seminar cum workshop on “Exfoliative liquid based gynaecologic cytology” held held on 17th October, 2017, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.
- Virtual Biennial SAAP VII & PSI Conference on Physiological sciences for betterment of health organized by Department of Physiology , HIMSR, New Delhi from March 23-25, 2021.
- CME on Rational use of antimicrobials organized by Department of Pharmacology, HIMSR, New Delhi, held on 24th November, 2020.
- NATCON 2019, on Recent developments in Biomedical, Unani and Ayurvedic Translational Research and darker side of rampant use of lead based products held in J.N.Medical College, AMU from 11th- 12th March, 2019.
- International Conference on Recent advances in Food fortification with emphasis on Vitamin D Deficiency in Human health by Department of Food technology, School of Interdisciplinary Sciences and Technology, Jamia Hamdard on 15th -16th September, 2018.
- CME on Immunization Updates organized by Department of Community Medicine, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard on 15TH May 2018.
- National CME on “Uniting to Create Leaders to End Tuberculosis” on 27th March, 2018, Hamdard Convention Centre, Jamia Hamdard.
- CME organized by Department of Biochemistry & Medicine, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard on 13th November 2017.
- CME on neurophysiology organized by Department of Physiology & Paramedical Sciences ,HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard on 12th September,2017
- CME in transfusion medicine organized by Department of Pathology & Blood Bank , HIMSR , Jamia Hamdard on 8th august 2017
- CME on Clinical Research organized by Research Project Advisory Committee, HIMSR on 16th may,2017
- CME on Diagnosis and Management of Depression and anxiety disorders organized by Department of Community Medicine & Psychiatry , HIMSR on 7th April, 2017.
- CME on “Trace elements-The forgotten Essentials” held at Dept. of Biochemistry, Sir ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi( ACBI-Delhi Chapter& North Zone) on 17th March 2017
- CME, 2016 on Attaining and maintaining accredition –the challenges along the path held at held at Dept. of Biochemistry, Sir ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi on 4th Feb, 2016
- CME 2016 on Elimination of Hepatitis: A global perspective organized by Department of Microbiology and Community medicine, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard on 17th December, 2016.
- CME 2016 on recent advances in physiological techniques organized by Dept. of Physiology, held in HIMSR, JAMIA HAMDARD on 20th September 2016.