Dr. Sandeep Kumar
Professor & HOD, Department of Orthopedics
Reg. Number: DMC-22196
Prof. (Dr.) Sandeep Kumar presently the Head of the department of Orthopaedics. He received his medical education from eminent Institutes like IMS, Banaras Hindu University, UCMS (Delhi) and Royal college of surgeons (Edinburgh). He has more than 18 years of experience. He has been member of various faculty selection committees and examiner to MBBS and PG examinations at various institutions. He is beloved teacher to his undergraduate and post graduate students. He is having vast clinical and administrative experience as Head, Accident & Emergency Department; Treasurer and Joint secretary of Indian Orthopaedic Association. He has organised various national and state level conferences and workshops. He has more than 25 publications in numerous reputed indexed journals. He has been awarded as best researcher award in 2019 and is regularly invited as guest speaker in various national and international conferences.
Area of Interest
- Joint replacement surgery of hip and knee (both primary as well as revision)
- Arthroscopic procedures
- Management of complex Orthopaedic trauma.
- Bone Banking
- Tumour reconstruction surgeries
|Degree||Year||Name of College & University||Registration Number||Date of Registration|
|PGHSC||2013||Teesside University U.K|
|MS (Ortho)||2003||Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi||DMC-22196|
|MBBS||1999||Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi||DMC-22196|
Deatils of Teaching Experience
|Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||12-03-2016||Till date|
|Associate Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||15-03-2013||14-02-2016|
|Assistant Professor||Department of Orthopaedics, IMS, BHU, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh||12-11-2007||11-02-2013|
|Clinical Research Fellow||Freeman hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom||10-05-2011||09-08-2012|
|Senior Resident||UCMS and GTB Hospital, New-Delhi, India||13-11-2005||12-11-2007|
|Senior Resident||DDU Hospital, New Delhi, India||11-04-2004||10-10-2005|
- Kumar S, Siddiqui ZA, Kumar S, Vyas S. Hoffa fracture rehabilitation. Saudi J Sports Med 2015; 15:291-4
- Jameel J, Kumar S, Zahid M, Ahmad S. Delayed presentation of Morel-Lavallee lesion. Saudi Med J. 2014 Jul;35(7):750-2. PMID: 25028236.
- Sajid I, Kumar S, Jameel J, Singh S, Kumar A. Orthopaedic Surgeon and Scientific Publications: Understanding the Symbiosis. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) Mar.2014 ,Volume 13, Issue 3 Ver. III., PP 34-42
- Basran SS, Kumar S, Jameel J, Sajid I. Carpal tunnel syndrome: A rare manifestation of distal radius osteoid osteoma. Journal of clinical orthopaedics and trauma. 2015 Sep 1; 6(3):190-4.
- Agarwal A, Chandra H, Agarwal A, Singhal N, Kumar S. Anterior Versus Posterior Fixation in Thoracic Tubercular Spine. Journal of US-China Medical Science. 2015; 12:35-9.
- Kumar R, Kumar S, Singh D, Goel SC. Role of bone marrow derived autologous mesenchymal stem cells in fracture healing in rabbits. Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases. 2017; 32(1):13.
- Jameel J, Kumar S, Khan R, Rastogi S. Role of Locked Compression Plate in Osteoporotic Humeral Shaft Non-union: A Clinical Study. Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases, 2017 Jul; 32(2):24-7.
- Khan R, Jameel J, Kumar S, Aslam A, Chahal G, Rastogi S. Rush nail in the management of distal one-third fibular fracture in both bone fractured legs: A clinical study. Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases. 2017 Jul; 32(2):32-6.
- Vyas S, Bhalla AS, Ranjan P, Kumar S, Kumar U, Gupta AK. Rheumatoid arthritis revisited–Advanced imaging review. Polish journal of radiology. 2016; 81:629.
- Kumar S, Galfat B. Management of Intertrochanteric Fractures with proximal femoral nail and dynamic hip screws – comparison thereof. Journal of Medical & Dental Research. 2017; 5 (4) page- 267-270.
- Kumar A, Passey J, Khan R, Arora R, Kumar S, Chouhan D, Jameel J. Defining the “mediolateral widening of tibial plateau” as a guide for reduction in tibial plateau fractures: An Indian perspective. Journal of clinical orthopaedics and trauma. 2020 Feb 1;11:S66-70.
- Kumar S, Role of steroids in prevention of Volkmann’s Ischaemic contracture. Anvikshiki Indian Journal of Research ,2010,vol 4,1-3
- Kumar H, Pal CP, Sharma YK, Kumar S, Uppal A. Epidemiology of knee osteoarthritis using Kellgren and Lawrence scale in Indian population. Journal of clinical orthopaedics and trauma. 2020 Feb 1;11:S125-9.
- Kumar A, Rastogi S, Haider Y, Kumar S, Chauhan S, Passey J. Morphometric variations of the lateral surface of calcaneus: Can standard plate sizes fit all? Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma. 2021 Feb 1; 13:156-62.
- Kumar S, Kumar A, Kumar M, Kumar A, Arora R, Sehrawat R. Feasibility of telemedicine in maintaining follow-up of orthopaedic patients and their satisfaction: A preliminary study. Journal of clinical orthopaedics and trauma. 2020 Oct 1;11:S704-10.
- Kumar A, Kumar S, Jameel J. Concerns regarding one-bone forearm reconstruction and distal radioulnar joint fusion for emergency one-stage operation in traumatic major bone defect of forearm. Injury. 2020 Oct 1;51(10):2343.
- Kumar S, Arora R, Kumar A, Vyas S, Kumar S, Arora P, Qureshi OA, Jameel J. Problems and solutions for Orthopaedic surgeons during COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases, 2020 Vol. May;35(2):53-61.
- Kumar A, Khan R, Chouhan D, Arora R, Kumar S, Jameel J | Comparative study between hybrid fixation and dual plating in the management of both bone forearm fractures involving proximal half of radial shaft in adult patients. Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases May-Aug 2020;35(2):19-24.
- Kumar S,Gupta V. Evaluation of incidence of postoperative infection in fracture fixation of clavicle with locking reconstruction plate – retrospective study. International Journal of Orthopaedics Traumatology & Surgical Sciences. Year: 2017, Volume: 3, Issue: 2, Pages: 601-603
- Pradeep Kumar Tiwari , Sandeep Kumar , D.R. Galfat , Surabhi Vyas Management of split depression tibial plateau fractures with a raft construct through a locking plate without bone graft International Journal of Orthopaedics Traumatology & Surgical SciencesYear: 2019, Volume: 5, Issue: 1, Pages: 188-191
- Sandeep Kumar , Ravikant Mahariya , Surabhi Vyas , D. R. Galfat Comparison of intra medullary locking nail and minimally invasive percutaneous plate osteosynthesis by LCP in treatment of distal tibial fractures – prospective study International. Journal of Orthopaedics Traumatology & Surgical Sciences. Year: 2018, Volume: 4, Issue: 1, Pages: 97-101
- Sundeep Malla , Surabhi Vyas , Ashu Seith Bhalla , Uma Kumar , Sandeep Kumar , Arun Kumar Gupta. Ultrasonography in Early Rheumatoid Arthritis of Hand and Wrist Joints: Comparison with Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics 2020 Jul 2;54(5):695-703.
- J Jameel, S Kumar, M Zahid, S Ahmad. Delayed presentation of Morel-Lavallee lesion. Saudi Medical journal.2014 July 35 (7), 750-752.
- A Kumar, OA Qureshi, R Arora, S Kumar, J Jameel, R Khan Comparison of three low-cost techniques to control fogging of sealed eyewear in a simulated operating room environment: A preliminary analysis. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma 2020,11, S696-S699
- Arvind Kumar, Rizwan Khan, Javed Jameel, Sandeep Kumar Salvaging Chronic Nonunion of Femoral Neck and Infected Nonunion of Ipsilateral Femoral Shaft Fracture Using Intramedullary Antibiotic Cement Spacer and External Fixator Alone. DOI: 10.7759/cureus.12665 January 12, 2021
- Kumar S,Sharma N, Kumaraswamy V, Prajapati R. A prospective randomised study of ACL – reconstruction using bone patellar tendon bone grafts fixed with bio absorbable or titanium interference screws. Journal of Bone and Joint diseases ,2013, vol 28,Jan,pages 19-25.
- Arvind Kumar , Rakesh Arora , Mukesh kumar , Sandeep kumar Resuming Orthopaedic Outpatient Services in The Current COVID-19 Pandemic: An Indian Perspective. Journal of Bone and Joint Diseases 2021,vol 36 (1 January-April), pages 46-48.
- Kumar S, Vyas S. Hazards of urban lifestyle. Anvikshiki Indian Journal of Research ,2010, vol 4,16-18
- Kumar S , Is there any co- relation between transitional cell carcinoma of bladder and metal on metal hip arthroplasty? Orthopaedic proceedings 21 Feb 2018 vol. 95-b, no. supp.15,page106
- Awarded Indian Orthopaedics Association Senior Research fellowship 2020.
- RULA best researcher award of the year 2019.
- 2nd Position in State Level quiz 2003.
- The paper “Feasibility of telemedicine in maintaining follow-up of orthopedic patients and their satisfaction: A preliminary study” authored by Prof. Sandeep Kumar has been selected for the Award Category: Best Research Award. 2021
Membership of Academic Bodies Societies
- Life member of Indian orthopaedic association (IOA) – LM -5571
- Life member of International society for knowledge of surgeons on Arthroscopy and Arthroplasty (ISKSAA-1289)
- Life member of Uttar Pradesh Orthopaedics association (UPOA)
- Life member of Delhi Orthopaedics association (DOA-K111)
- Life member of Indian Arthroplasty association (IAA-419)
- Life member of Varanasi Orthopaedic club (VOC)
Invited Talks and Lectures
- “Tips and tricks in management of proximal tibia fractures” ,65th annual conference of Indian Orthopaedics Association (Mini -IOACON),5-7 March 2021, Jaipur
- “Restarting Elective trauma and Orthoapedics activity during covid -19 pandemic”, 6th November 2020 on Ortho TV.
- “Hazards of Urban Lifestyle related to Musculoskeletal system “,23th October 2020, Online short term course on Inclusive health organised by UGC Human Resource Development centre ,AMU , Aligarh.
- “Covid World Challenges and solutions for Orthopods”, Global Orthopaedics forum Webinar, 16 May 2020.
- “Post-lockdown practice & safety measures for Orthopaedic surgeons” webinar organised by Rajasthan Orthopaedics association,25/04/2020
- “Role of JESS in fractures of distal end of radius” -Guest lecture organised Ghaziabad Orthopaedic Association ,26 February 2020.
- Invited for a guest lecture at workshop on “Usage of Ilizarov and JESS in Orthopaedics “, 26th and 27th January 2019, Department of Orthopaedics, Subharti Medical College, Meerut.
- Guest Speaker for IOA Post graduate teaching program ,28th -30th June 2019,Sir Ganga Ram hospital , New Delhi
- Invited as a Chairperson for the Indian Orthopaedic Association conference held from 19th to 24 November 2019 at Kolkata.
- Panellist in “Managing Orthopaedic surgeries during COVID-19 today and beyond” webinar by Stryker 2020
- Nutritional Supplementation in The Management of Osteoarthritis (Feb 2020.
- “Management of complex distal tibial fractures” Guest speaker at the Ghaziabad Orthopaedic Club webinar on 26th September 2020.
- Invited faculty for UPOA P.G Instructional Course, Department of Orthopaedics ,16th to 18th November 2018, Sarojini Naidu Medical College, Agra.
- Invited as Panellist for DOA – IMSOS CME on Giant cell Tumour & Pathological Fractures held on 22nd April 2018 at Hotel Crowne Plaza, Rohini, New Delhi
- Guest Lecture in Workshop on Disaster management 16th March 2018 at Rufaida College of Nursing ,Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.
- Guest lecture “Proximal tibia fractures ”, UOACON 2019 XVth Annual Conference of Uttaranchal Orthopaedic Association 19th – 21st April 2019, Jim Corbett, Uttarakhand.
- Guest lecture “Management of neglected distal tibial fractures” DOA – MIDCON,7thJuly 2019, Department of Orthopaedics at Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.
- Guest lecture in workshop of Asia Pacific Musculo Skeletal Tumour society (APMSTS)Conference, 4-7 October 2018 Jaipur, India
- Master Faculty for scientific sessions during UPOA’s Post Graduate Instructional Course held on 8th to 10th November 2019 at the Trauma Centre, IMS, BHU, Varanasi.
- Role of Cerament as a void filler in bone defects, 26th – 31st December 2017, IOACON 62ND Annual Conference Indian Orthopaedic Association Indore, M.P.
- Role of Cortico steroids in Volkmann’s Ischaemic contracture – Indian Orthopaedics Association Conference, Delhi, Nov-2006.
- Does Tranexamic acid reduce blood loss in replacement surgeries-UPCON, Lucknow Feb 2009
- Antibiotic Impregnated Decalcified Bone Matrix Chips as Local Antibiotic Delivery Vehicle in Pyogenic Osteomyelitis: An Experimental Study – SICOT PATTAYA,2009
- Is there any co relation between Metal on Metal Hip Arthroplasty and Transistional Cell Cacinoma of Bladder? – British Hip Society , Manchester 2012
- Guest Lecture On Management of Sports Injuries at ICON Sports Varanasi,2010 Recent Advances in ACL Reconstruction – ICON Sports, Varanasi, 2010
- Epidural Corticosteroid Injection for Radiculopathy: An Unanswered Question, IOACON Agra 2013
- Presentation at OASAC 2014, Agra (SAARC Countries Conference) Corticosteroids A Boon for Compartment Syndrome.
- Guest Lecture in U.P. Post Graduate Instructional Course 2014, Sarojini Naidu Medical College, Agra.
- Presentation at IOACON 2017 at Indore “The role of Cerament TM (Calcium Sulfate Hydroxyapatite) as void filler in bone defects”.
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Organised
- Organising Secretary for 1st JESS workshop, July 2016
- Organising Secretary for 2nd JESS workshop, July 2019
- Organising secretary for Delhi Orthopaedics Association Mid-Conference (MIDCON), July 2019.
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Attended
- Ranawat Orthopaedic Conference ‘’Advances & Techniques in Joint Replacement Surgery & Arthroscopy’’,Bangalore 2016
- Traumacon Mumbai – 2016
- AIIMS Cadaver Arthroplasty Course – 2016
- DOACON NEW DELHI 2016
- TRAUMACON MUMBAI 2016
- IMSOS U.P VARANASI 2017
- Current regulations on herbal drugs and food supplements, School of Pharmaceutical education and research, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi 2017
- CME on Clinical Research, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi 2017
- Technological innovations leading to improved outcomes, Reims, France 2017
- Delhi Arthroscopy Course Vasant Kunj Delhi 2017.
- Annual Conference of Indian Arthroplasty Association ITC Sonar Kolkata 27th – 29th October, 2017
- CME on Woman and diabetes – our right healthy future / Quiz Competition 13th November 2017 HIMSR Jamia Hamdard New Delhi.
- IOACON 62ND Annual Conference Indian Orthopaedic Association, Indore, M.P. (India) from 29th – 31st December 2017.
- Delhi Orthopaedic Association Department of Musculoskeletal Oncology, Max Institute of Cancer Care, New Delhi CME 10th September, 2017 at Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket New Delhi.
- CME in Transfusion Medicine on 8th August 2017 at HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.
- “1st Smart Knee & Hip conclave”, 25th & 26th November 2017. at Max Super Speciality Hospital, Saket New Delhi
- DOA – IMSOS CME on Giant cell Tumour & Pathological Fractures held on 22nd April 2018 at Hotel Crowne Plaza, Rohini, and Delhi.
- National CME Uniting to Create Leaders to End Tuberculosis HIMSR & HAHC Hospital, Jamia Hamdard on 27th March 2018
- Annual Conference of AOTS Munich Trauma Course September 7 -9, 2018 Hyatt Regency, Kolkata,
- TRAUMACON held at Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre on 15th to 18th August, 2018.
- APMSTS Conference, 4-7 October 2018 Jaipur, India
- CME on “Geriatric Anaesthesia – A Contemporary Approach,22nd October 2018 Organized by Department of Anaesthesiology with Department of Surgery, at HIMSR.
- UPOA P.G Instructional Course organised by Department of orthopaedics on 16th to 18th November 2018 at Sarojini Naidu Medical College & Agra Orthopaedics Society, Agra.
- Workshop on Disaster management at Rufaida College of Nursing Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi – 62.
- 16th Annual Conference of Indian Arthroplasty Association IAACON , 20th & 21st September 2019 at J.W Marriott, Juhu, Mumbai.
- UOACON 2019 XVth Annual Conference of Uttaranchal Orthpaedic Association, 19th – 21st April 2019, Jim Corbett, Uttarakhand.
- UPOA POST Graduate instructional Course held on 8th to 10th November 2019 ,Trauma Centre IMS, BHU, Varanasi.
- FORUM (Foundation of Orthopaedic universe meet) 1st Edition 2019 (current concepts & controversies) in Orthopaedic on 14th and 15th September 2019 at Hotel Trident – Hyderabad.
- 2nd HIMSR JESS WORKSHOP, 6th July 2019 in Department of Orthopaedic at Hamdard Institute Medical Sciences & Research, Jamia Hamdard New Delhi
- DOA – MIDCON 2019,7th July 2019, Department of Orthopaedics at Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.
- World Antimicrobial Awareness Week CME on “Rational use of Antimicrobials”, 24th November 2020 at Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences & Research and HAH Centenary Hospital Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi.
- CME on World Patient Safety Day,17th to 18th September 2020 ,Department of Anaesthesiology, Pain Medicine and Critical Care Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi.
- 65th Annual Conference of Indian Orthopaedic Association – Mini IOACON 2020 ,5th to 7th March 2021 at hotel Clarks Amer, Jaipur.