Dr. Md. Iqbal Alam
Professor & HOD, Department of Physiology
Reg. Number: DMC-
Dr. Md. Iqbal Alam is Professor and Head of Department of Physiology at HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard. Dr. Iqbal Alam joined HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard in April 2012. He has obtained his Masters and Ph.D. degrees from Department of Physiology, University of Calcutta.
Dr. Alam has served as a Chairman and Professor of Physiology in the Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Sebha University, Sebha, Libya. He has more than 30 years of teaching and research experience in the field of Physiology and Pharmacology. Many research funding agencies such as ICMR, CSIR, DBT, DST etc. have sponsored various projects, in which he has completed successfully. He has got many National and International recognition and awards for his research work, from different reputed organisations like INSA, UNESCO-ICRO, DST, CSIR, NAMS and UGC. Dr. Alam has got the membership award from National Academy of Medical Sciences (India).
Dr. Alam has Life time memberships of various societies like Indian Science Congress Association, Indian Pharmacological Society, Indian Physiological Society, National Academy of Medical Sciences and Association of Physiologist and Pharmacologist of India. He has made a significant contribution in Research and Development in India and abroad by bringing prolific innovation in the area of Venoms and Toxins. He has visited and presented several of his research papers in different countries like Paris, France; Istanbul, Turkey; Adelaide, Australia; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; Tehran, Iran; Stanford, California, US. His research area includes Venom & Toxins, Drug discovery and on cardiovascular system. He has contributed and published many research papers in international journals with high impact factor.
Area of Interest
- Clinical and Experimental Physiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology in the following areas:
- Venoms & Toxins
- Cardiovascular Physiology
- Basic and clinical pharmacology
- Translational pharmacology
|Degree||Year||Name of College & University||Registration Number||Date of Registration|
|B.Sc.||1987||City College, University of Calcutta, India|
|M.Sc.||1989||University of Calcutta, India|
|Ph.D.||1996||University of Calcutta, India|
Deatils of Teaching Experience
|Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||06/12/16||Till Date||04 yrs.|
|Assoc. Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||27/04/12||05/12/16||04 (y) 7(m)|
|Professor||M.M.I.M S&R, Ambala||01/02/07||15/02/15||05 yrs.|
|Associate Professor||M.M.I.M S&R, Ambala||25/02/05||31/01/07||02 yrs.|
|Associate Professor||ASCOMS & Hospital, Jammu, J&K||01/02/03||24/02/05||02 (y) 0(m)|
|Assistant Professor||ASCOMS & Hospital, Jammu, J&K||01/02/99||31/01/03||03(y)11(m)|
|Lecturer||ASCOMS & Hospital, Jammu, J&K||01/11/97||28/02/99||01(y)04(m)|
- Muneeb Qadir, Aftab Alam, Saumya Bhagat, Intzar Ali, Mairaj Ahmed Ansari, G A Khan, Afreen Khan, Md Iqbal Alam (2020) Pathophysiology of SARS–COV–2: A review Submitted to American Journal of Physiology-Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology
- Naba Sami, Aftab Alam, Neha Dhyani, Saumya Bhagat, Huma Quasimi, Mairaj Ahmed Ansari, Md. Iqbal. Alam (2020) Cardio-protective effects of estrogen on the vascular system and its role on damaged associated molecular pattern (Submitted to PLOS ONE)
- M.I. Alam, Amit Kumar, S. Bhagat, Huma Quasimi, A Alam, G A Khan, Abhijeet Dhulap and Sarwar Alam (2020) Snake venom PLA2 and sterile inflammation inhibition by novel diazepinone derivatives: Molecular modeling (Submitted to ACS OMEGA)
- Heena Tabassum, Mohd. Salman, Pooja Sharma, Md. I Alam, Suhel Parvez (2021), Naringenin mitigates behavioral alterations and provides neuroprotection against 3-nitropropinoic acid induced Huntington disease like symptoms in rats. Nutritional Neuroscience In press
- Shikha Gautam, Salama Imtiyaz and Md Iqbal Alam (2021) COVID-19 Pandemic: Assessment of stress and the perception of E - learning amongst first year undergraduate medical students submitted to Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic 01,March, 2021
- Jasjit S. Suri, Luca Saba , Mohit Agarwal , Anubhav Patrick , Anudeep Puvvula , Suneet K. Gupta , Alessandro Carriero , John R Laird , George D Kitas , Amer M. Johri , Antonella Balestrieri , Zeno Falaschi , Alessio Paschè , Vijay Viswanathan , Ayman El-Baz , Iqbal Alam, Abhinav Jain, Subbaram Naidu , Ronald Oberleitner , Narendra N Khanna, Arindam Bit , Mostafa Fatemi , Azra Alizad (2021) Six Artificial Intelligence Paradigms for Tissue Characterization and Classification of Non-COVID-19 Pneumonia against COVID-19 Pneumonia in Computed Tomography Lungs. International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery February 03, 2021 (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11548-021-02317-0).
- Md Iqbal Alam (2020) Emerging Role of Nitric Oxide on the occurrence of Metabolic Syndrome and cardiovascular disease. BLDE Journal of Health Sciences, Volume 5, December 2020, (DOI 10.4103/2468-838X.303752)
- Kaushal Chakraborty, Md Iqbal Alam, Gausal Azam Khan (2020) Vascular disease and role of Nitric oxide. International Journal of Environment and Health Sciences, Vol 2, 99-114
- Md. Iqbal Alam, Ojha, R., Alam A., Quasimi, H and Alam, O (2019) Therapeutic potential of snake venoms as antimicrobial agents. Frontiers in Drug, Chemistry and Clinical Research 2, 1-9.
- Abhirup Bandyopadhyay, Saumaya Bhagat, Iqbal Alam, Gausal Khan (2019) Sterile inflammatory molecules are significantly down regulated by magnesium sulfate treatment in preeclampsia. Placenta, Volume 83, August 2019, Page e56, (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.placenta.2019.06.185)
- Shubhro Chakrabartty, Md Iqbal Alam, Saumya Bhagat, Alam A, Gausal A Khan, Neha Dhyani, M. Sarwar Alam (2019) Inhibition of snake venom induced sterile inflammation and PLA2 activity by Titanium dioxide Nanoparticles. Scientific Reports, 01 August, 2019
- Gausal Khan, Saumya Bhagat and M.Iqbal Alam (2019) PGE2 induced migration of human brain endothelial cell is mediated though Protein Kinase A in cooperation of EP receptors. Journal of Leukocyte Biology, 1-13,2019
- Sera Gonelevue, Abhirup Bandyopadhyay, Saumya Bhagat, Md Iqbal Alam and Gausal A. Khan (2018) Sterile Inflammatory Role of High Mobility Group Box 1 Protein: Biological Functions and Involvement in Disease, Journal of Vasc. Res.55:244–254
- Pallavi Goel, Ozair Alam , Mohd Javed Naim , Farah Nawaz , Muzaffar Iqbal , Md Iqbal Alam (2018), Recent advancement of piperidine moiety in treatment of cancer- A review, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 157, 480-502
- Abhirup Bandhapadhaya, William May, Saumaya Bhagat, Iqbal Alam, Gausal Khan (2018) Sterile inflammatory molecules:Potential biomarkers for preeclampsia, Placenta 69 ,e12 - e93
- G. Khan; I. Alam; S. Bhagat (2018) Extracellular RNA is the novel player in hypoxic Stress induced myocardial injury, Cardiovascular Research Supplements 114, S72–S85
- Mohd. Javed Naim, Ozair Alam, Md. Jahangir Alam, Md. Quamrul Hassan, Nadeem Siddiqui, V.G.M. Naidu and Md. Iqbal Alam (2018) Design, synthesis and molecular docking of thiazolidinedione based benzene sulphonamide derivatives containing pyrazole core as potential anti-diabetic agents. Bio-organic chemistry 76, 98-112
- Acharya, S., Chakrabartty, S., Alam, Mohd. Iqbal., Dey, N., Santhi, V., and Ashour, A.S. (2016) A semi-automated approach using GUI for the detection of Red Blood Cells. International conference on Electrical, Electronics and Optimization techniques (ICEEOT), 525-528
- Alam, M.I., Alam, Mohammed Aftab, Alam, Ozair., Nargotra, Amit., Taneja, S.C and Koul, S., (2016) Molecular modeling and snake venom PLA2 inhibition by phenolic compounds: structure-activity relationship., Eur. Journal Med Chemistry, 114, 209-219,
- Alam, M.I (2014) Inhibition of toxic effects of viper and cobra venom by Indian medicinal plants Pharmacology and Pharmacy. 5, 828-837.
- Amit Nagrotra., Sujata Sharma. Mohd Iqbal Alam., Zabeer Ahmed., Asha Bhagat., Subhas Chandra Taneja., Gulam Nabi Qazi,. Surinder Koul (2011) In silico identification of Viper Phospholipase A2 inhibitors: Validation by in vitro, in vivo studies. J. Mol Model. 17(12), 3063-73.
- M I Alam (2005) Snake venom induced free radical formation and its inhibition by a herbal compound isolated and purified from Hemidesmus indicus R.Br root extract. Faseb Journal, 19(5), 1209
- Alam, M. I and Gomes, A (2003) Snake venom neutralization by Indian medicinal plants (Vitex negunda and Emblica officinalis) root extracts. J. Ethnopharmacology 86(1), 75-80.
- Gomes, A., Das, M., Alam, M.I. and Dasgupta, S.C. (2000) Bidder’s organ extract induced anaphylaxis in experimental animals. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 38 (2), 177-179.
- Alam, M.I. and Gomes, A. (1998) Adjuvant effects and antiserum action potentiation by a herbal compound 2-hydroxy-4-methoxy benzoic acid isolated and purified from the root extract of the Indian medicinal plant "Sarsaparilla". Toxicon 36, 1423-1431.
- Alam, M.I. and Gomes, A. (1998) Viper Venom-induced inflammation and inhibition of free radicals formation by pure compound (2-hydroxy-4-methoxy benzoic acid) isolated and purified from 'Anantamul' (Hemidesmus indicus R Br.) root extract. Toxicon 36, 207-215.
- Alam, M.I. and Gomes, A. (1998). An experimental study on evaluation of chemical antagonists induced snake venom neutralization. Indian J. Med. Res. 107, March, 142-146.
- Alam, M.I .and Gomes, A. (1996) Comparative evaluation of chemical antagonists against Indian viper and cobra venoms. Toxicon 34 (2), 161-162
- Alam, M.I. and A Gomes, A. (1996) Indian medicinal plants active against Elapidae and Viperidae snake venoms. Toxicon 34 (2), 155-156
- Gomes, A., Alam, M.I., Muhuri, D.C., Auddy, B. and Dasgupta, S.C. (1996) A lethal cardiotoxic protein isolated from Bidder's organ extract of common Indian toad, Bufo melanostictus, Schneider, Indian J. Exp. Biol. 34, 211-215.
- Alam, M.I., Auddy, B. and Gomes, A. (1996) Viper Venom neutralization by Indian medicinal plant (Hemidesmus indicus and Pluchea indica) root extract, Phytotherapy Research 10(1), 58-61.
- Auddy, B., Muhuri, D.C., Alam, M.I. and Gomes, A. (1995) A lethal protein toxin (Toxin- PC) from the Indian Catfish (Plotosus canius, Hamilton) Venom, Natural Toxin 3, 363-368.
- Alam, M.I., Auddy, B and Gomes, A. (1994) Isolation, purification and Partial characterization of Viper Venom inhibiting factor from the root extract of the Indian medicinal plant "Sarsaparilla" (Hemidesmus indicus R. Br.) Toxicon 32(12), 1151-1157.
- Auddy, B., Alam, M.I. and Gomes, A. (1994) Pharmacological actions of the venom of the Indian Catfish (Plotosus canuis Hamilton) Indian J. Med. Res. 99, 47-51
- Gomes, A., Alam, M.I., Auddy, B. and Dasgupta, S.C. (1994) Isolation, purification and partial characterization of haemolytic protein from Bidders organ extract of toad Bufo melanostictus (Schneider) Indian J. Exp. Biol. 32(2), 119-123.
- Gomes, A., Alam, M.I. And Auddy, B. (1993) Toxinological profile of the Bidder’s organ extract of toad Bufo melanostictus (Schneider) Indian J. Pharmac. 25, 158-162.
Research Work & Projects
- To investigate the role of medicinal plants in the treatment of Preeclampsia and identification of the molecular pathways involved in the disease progression (Submitted to CCRUM, New Delhi) 2020
- SNEDDS based oral delivery of phenolic compounds for the treatment of snakebite envenoming (submitted to SERB, DST, New Delhi) 2020
- To identify molecular targets of metformin for the treatment of Preeclampsia” (submitted to SERB, DST, New Delhi). 2020
- Cognitive Remediation through Behavioural Reinforcement in Traumatic Brain Injury (Co-PI) Sponsored by Core Research Grant SERB-DST (File Number: CRG/2020/003832) 2020
- An epidemiological study to assess household transmission & associated risk factors for COVID-19 disease amongst residents of Delhi, India. (This protocol is aligned with the WHO Unity protocol on household transmission protocol for COVID-19) WHO sponsored project (Co-PI) 2020
- Early Detection of Bio-markers for pre-eclampsia, Grand Challenges Canada Grant Number: R-ST-POC-1807-13914, (amount of $94.889 CAD). 2018
- Characterization of sterile inflammatory biomarkers for the development of preeclampsia and its pathogenesis. (Huma Quasimi, SRF, Sponsored by ICMR) 2019
- )To study the genetic polymorphism of Matrix – metalloproteinase-2 and its association with the oxidative stress biomarkers in COP D in North-Indian Population. DST-Inspire (DST/INSPIRE/03 /2017/001003) (Poonam Sangwan, JRF-DST-Inspire (2018)
- To study the role of Damage Associated Molecular Patterns in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus patients (STS-ICMR-2019-09608) 2019
- Characterization of sterile inflammatory biomarkers for the development of pre-eclampsia and its pathogenesis. (Huma Quasimi, JRF, Sponsored by ICMR, 2017-18) 2018
- To Evaluate the Role of Nitric Oxide in Young Renal Hypertensive Patients (sponsored by STS-ICMR-Reference ID: 2017-03294) 2017
- Development of chemical antagonists of snake venoms by a combinatorial approach based on molecular modeling, in vitro protein-ligand interactions and chemical synthesis (DBT, New Delhi) (2003 – 2007). 2007
- Effects of indigenous plants and selected biological antioxidant on rodents against snake venom Sponsored by ASCOMS & HOSPITAL, Jammu (1998 – 2002). 2002
- Anti-snake venom factors from Indian herbs. Sponsored by CSIR, New Delhi 1997 (1 year). 1997
- Snake venom inhibitors from Indian medicinal plants. Sponsored by CSIR, New Delhi (1995-96). 1996
- Search for Plant Constituents which antagonize Snake Venom. Sponsored by ICMR, New Delhi (1992–94) 1994
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate-CSIR Department of Physiology, University of Calcutta, India (1997)
- Senior Research fellow-CSIR Department of Physiology, University of Calcutta, India (1995 – 1996)
- Junior Research Fellow-ICMR, Department of Physiology, University of Calcutta, India (1991 – 1994)
- Awarded best Poster in International Conference on Recent advances in Food fortification with emphasis on Vitamin D in human health, 15-16 September, 2018 at Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi. (2018)
- 1st Prize, best scientific paper awarded in Poster presentation in The inaugural workshop of UNESCO/UNITWIN Network on PhD education and research in Biophysics, Biotechnology and Environmental health, 6-8 August,2018 at Yerevan/Garni, Armenia (2018)
- 2nd Prize, best scientific paper awarded in Poster presentation in The inaugural workshop of UNESCO/UNITWIN Network on PhD education and research in Biophysics, Biotechnology and Environmental health, 6-8 August,2018 at Yerevan/Garni, Armenia (2018)
- Best Poster Award in E poster presentation on 3rd One day National Seminar on Current Regulations on Herbal Drugs & Food supplements organized by Department of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, held at Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi on 16th May, 2017. (2017)
- Elected Member, National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi (2016)
- 1st prize Awarded in poster presentation in Indo-US Symposium on Botanical Drug development (2013)
- DST travel award -International conference (2003)
- UNESCO-ICRO fellowship (2002)
- CSIR-Travel award- International conference (2002)
- DST travel Award-International conference (2002)
- Indian National Science Academy travel fellowship (INSA) (2002)
- Research Associate, CSIR, New Delhi (1997)
- CSIR-Travel award- International conference (1995)
- Senior Research Fellowship, CSIR, New Delhi (1995)
- Junior Research Fellowship, ICMR, New Delhi (1992)
Membership of Academic Bodies Societies
- Society of Leukocyte Biology, Member (2019)
- Society for Nitric Oxide and Allied Radicals (SNOAR), Life Member (2019)
- International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences-Life Member (2019)
- Delhi Pharmacological Society, Life Member (2018)
- National Academy of Medical Sciences, India, Life Member (2018)
- Member, Academic Council, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi (2018)
- The Association of Physiologist and Pharmacologist of India, Life Member (2015)
- Present Examiner of UG and PG studies of AMITY UNIVERSITY, Noida (2015)
- Present Examiner of UG and PG studies of AMU, Aligarh (2012)
- Present Examiner of UG and PG studies of Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi (2012)
- Member, Faculty of Medicine, M. M. University, Mullana, Haryana(2008 – 2012)
- Member, Faculty of Medicine, Kurushetra University, Haryana (2005 – 2007)
- Member, Faculty of Medicine, Jammu University (2003 – 2005)
- Elected Member-Indian Science Congress Association, Medical Sciences (2002 – 2003)
- Member, Faculty of Medicine, Sebha University, Sebha, Libya (2002 – 2003)
- Indian Science Congress Association, Life member (1992)
- Indian Pharmacological society, Life member (1992)
- Physiological Society of Indian, Life member ((1992)
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Organised
- 1. Organizing Secretary in Virtual Biennial SAAP VII & PSI Conference – 2021 from 23rd – 25th Mar., 2021
- 2. Convener, Manzar 2K17, Annual Cultural and Sports Fest, Department of Paramedical Sciences, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, October 4-6, 2017
- 3. Convener, Blood Donation Camp, Department of Paramedical Sciences and Department of Pathology, Blood Bank, HAHC Hospital, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, Sep. 20, 2017
- 4. Organizing secretary, CME on Neurophysiology, Department of Physiology, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, September 12, 2017
- 5. Organizing secretary, Recent Advances in Physiological techniques, Department of Physiology, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, September 20, 2016
- 6. Organizing secretary, Recent Advances in Pharmacological Methods of Drugs Screening, Department of Physiology, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, June 1, 2016
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Attended
- 1. Curriculum Implementation Support Program at HIMSR, JH, Organized by MCI Regional Center: MAMC, New Delhi 1st to 3rd May, 2019.
- 2. Inaugural workshop of UNESCO/UNITWIN Network on PhD education and research in Biophysics, Biotechnology and Environmental health, 6-8 August, 2018 at Yerevan/Garni, Armenia
- 3. Seminar cum workshop on “Exfoliative liquid based gynecological cytology” Organized by Department of Pathology, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, Held on 17th October 2017.
- 4. CME on Clinical Research organized by HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, 16th May, 2017
- 5. Revised Basic Course Workshop in Medical Education Technology at MCI Regional Center: MAMC, New Delhi-110002, 20th sept to 22nd September,2016
- 6. Sensitization Programme, at MCI Regional Center: MAMC, New Delhi-110002, 23rd September, 2016