Dr. Kailash Chandra
MSC, PHD (Medical Biochemistry)
Assistant professor, Department of Biochemistry
Reg. Number: N/A
Dr. Kailash Chandra has obtained his M.Sc. Medical Biochemistry from Kumaun University Nainital, UK and Ph.D. (Medical Biochemistry) from Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi. He has more than 10 years of Post-PG research and teaching experience and has a number of papers published in National and International Journals of high repute. He is trained in various research techniques used in biomedical research. His specialization is in Biochemical, phytochemical and Molecular Biology techniques with expertise in animal and human trials. As a student he had a deep interest in understanding the role of traditional medicines in metabolic disorders. Therefore, he has selected the problem of insulin resistance and undertook an in depth study of the role of Cichorium intbyus seeds. They have proved the beneficial effect of Cichorium intbyus seeds in diabetes mellitus by animal and human studies. For this, the study group has filed a patent to Indian Patent office that entitled ‘A Natural Phytochemical Dietary Supplement for Prevention, Treatment, and Management of Diabetes Mellitus. He is currently a part of clinical trial as an investigator in three different projects at HAHC Hospital, New Delhi.
Area of Interest
- Interactions of Holistic medicine with allopathic medicines
- Mechanism of Action of Herbal Drugs
- Metabolomics based Biomarkers for life style disorders
- Insulin resistance & obesity
|Degree||Year||Name of College & University||Registration Number||Date of Registration|
|Ph.D. in Medical Biochemistry||2019||Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.|
|M.Sc. Medical Biochemistry||2008||Government Medical College Haldwani (IAHSET), Nainital. Uttrakhand|
Deatils of Teaching Experience
|Assistant Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||11-06-2019||Till date|
|Demonstrator||HIMSR, New Delhi||13-12-2010||10-06-2019||8 years, 5 months|
- Chandra K, Jain V, Azhar M, Khan W, Alam O, Ahmad S., Jain SK*. Effect of augmented glycation in mobilization of plasma free fatty acids in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews. 2020; 14: 1385-1389.
- Reyaz A, Alam S, Chandra K*, Kohli S, Agarwal S. Methylglyoxal and soluble RAGE in type 2 diabetes mellitus: Association with oxidative stress. Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders.2020; 19:515–521. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40200-020-00543-y
- Kandpal C.G, , Kumar R., Chandra K. Pandey S, Bisht T. Prevalence of hepatitis B virus genotype and sub-genotype in north and east region of India: DNA sequencing methodology. Current Trends in Biotechnology and Pharmacy 2020; 14:147-155.
- Chandra K., Jain SK, and Dwivedi S. The Role of Herbal Plants for the Management of Diabetes Mellitus: A Review. Cardiology today 2020; 24:74-81.
- Chandra K., Jain V., Jabeen A., Dwivedi S., Joshi S., Ahmad S., and Jain S.K. Effect of Cichorium intybus seeds supplementation on the markers of glycemic control, oxidative stress, inflammation, and lipid profile in type 2 diabetes mellitus: A randomized, double-blind placebo study. Phytotherapy Research, 2020; 34(7): 1609-1618. I.F-4.09.
- . Chandra K, Singh P, Dwivedi S, Jain SK. Diabetes mellitus and oxidative stress: A co-relative and therapeutic approach. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2019; 13(5):7-12. DOI: 10.7860/JCDR/2019/40628.12878.
- Balyan K, Sharma P, Chandra K, Agarwal S, and Jain SK. Oxidative stress is independent factor for end-stage renal disease in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Annals of National Academy of Medical Sciences. 2018;54(3):147-152
- Chandra K. and Iqbal J. Protein carbonylation in freshly diagnosed hypothyroidism is independent of thyrotropin levels. J Lab Med 2018. 42(5), pp. 177-181.
- Chandra K, Khan W, Jetley S, Ahmad S, Jain SK. Antidiabetic, toxicological, and metabolomic profling of aqueous extract of Cichorium intybus seeds. Phcog Mag 2018; 14:377-83.
- Juneja A, Dwivedi S, Srivastava DK, Chandra K. Insulin Resistance in young obese subjects and its relation to smoking (A Pilot Study). Ind J Clin Biochem. 2017 Mar;32(1):99-102.2016. doi:10.1007/s12291-016-0579-4
- Khursheed M., Chandra K., Srivastava DK. Incidence of non-structural protein (ns1) positivity & its Correlation with thrombocyte count & serum transaminase levels (dengue episode-2013: a retrospective study). Int J Pharm Bio Sci. 2014 ; 5 (3) : (B) 95 – 103
- . Chandra K., Upadhyay B, Khursheed M. A study on health status of Medical students based on their BMI and abdominal circumference. IJBAMR.2014;3:609-614
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Organised
- Participated in the 7 th International congress of Society for Ethnopharmacology, India (Theme: Ethnopharmacology in development of scientifically validated quality products from medicinal plants and regulatory aspects) as a Member Local Organizing Committee organized by Bioactive Natural Product Laboratory, SPER, Jamia Hamdard on 15-17th February 2020.
- Participated in the symposium on „Role of Biomedical Scientists in New India‟ as a Member organizing committee organized by NMMTA on 20th August 2018 at Constantina Hall, YWCA, New Delhi.
- Diabetes week celebration (CME on Woman and Diabetes & other activities) on 13th November 2017, organized by Departments of Biochemistry and Medicine, Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research & HAH Centenary Hospital as a Member organizing committee.
- 3 rd one day National seminar on‟ Current regulation on herbal drugs and food supplements‟, organized by Department of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard as a Member Organizing Committee (16 May 2017).
- Participation in the Symposium in „Replacing regulatory experiments on animals: An introduction to In silico models and In vitro test method‟ organized by Department of Biochemistry , Institute of Home Economics, University of Delhi, New Delhi on 26th – 27th October 2017.
- Participated/ presented a poster during 18th International Congress of International society for Ethnopharmacology held at Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh during 13-15th January 2018.
- Participation/ poster presentation in the International conference in Vitamin D organized by Department of Food technology, Jamia Hamdard on September 15-16, 2018.
- Participation in the International symposium on Wheat related disorders at India Habitat Center, New Delhi organized by Celiac Society of India on January 12-13, 2019.
- Participation in the interactive session on „Phytopharmaceuticals: Development, Regulatory, IPR and Marketing challenges” organized by Department of Pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, SPER, Jamia Hamdard, sponsored by UGC-SAP (DRS-II) held on April 5, 2019.
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Attended
- Poster presented during National Science Day poster presentation, 28 February, 2017 organized by school of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.
- Participation in the seminar on NABL: Essential for Excellence organized by University college of Medical sciences and National Accreditation board for testing and calibration laboratories on 11th March 2017.
- Participation in the CME on Diagnosis and management of depression and anxiety disorders organized by Department of community medicine and psychiatry, HIMSR on 7 th April 2017 (2.5 credit hour by DMC. Vide its letter-2595/DMC/CME/16C/2/2017)
- Participants of „Together against depression‟ conducted by The Live Love Laugh foundation on 7 th April 2017 at Jamia Hamdard.
- Participation in the CME in Transfusion Medicine-2017 organized by Department of Pathology and Blood Bank, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard on 8 th August 2017.
- Participation in the Cardiovascular Research Convergence 2017 organized by Translational Health Sciences and Technology Institute (THSTI), Faridabad on 12th August 2017.
- Participation in the CME in Neurophysiology organized by Department of Physiology and Paramedical Sciences, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard on 12th September 2017.