Dr. Kailash Chandra
MSc, Ph.D. (Medical Biochemistry), MNAMS
Assistant professor, Department of Biochemistry
Reg. Number: N/A
Dr. Kailash Chandra has obtained his M.Sc. Medical Biochemistry from Kumaun University Nainital, UK and Ph.D. (Medical Biochemistry) from Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi. He has more than 10 years of Post-PG research and teaching experience and has a number of papers published in National and International Journals of high repute. He is trained in various research techniques used in biomedical research. His specialization is in Biochemical, phytochemical and Molecular Biology techniques with expertise in animal and human trials. As a student he had a deep interest in understanding the role of traditional medicines in metabolic disorders. Therefore, he has selected the problem of insulin resistance and undertook an in depth study of the role of Cichorium intbyus seeds. They have proved the beneficial effect of Cichorium intbyus seeds in diabetes mellitus by animal and human studies. For this, the study group has filed a patent to Indian Patent office that entitled ‘A Natural Phytochemical Dietary Supplement for Prevention, Treatment, and Management of Diabetes Mellitus. He is currently a part of clinical trial as an investigator in three different projects at HAHC Hospital, New Delhi.
Area of Interest
- Interactions of Holistic medicine with allopathic medicines
- Mechanism of Action of Herbal Drugs
- Metabolomics based Biomarkers for life style disorders
- Insulin resistance & obesity
|Degree||Year||Name of College & University||Registration Number||Date of Registration|
|Ph.D. in Medical Biochemistry||2019||Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.|
|M.Sc. Medical Biochemistry||2008||Government Medical College Haldwani (IAHSET), Nainital. Uttrakhand|
Deatils of Teaching Experience
|Assistant Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||11-06-2019||Till date|
|Demonstrator||HIMSR, New Delhi||13-12-2010||10-06-2019||8 years, 5 months|
- Firdaus J, Siddiqui N, Alam O, Manaithiya A, Chandra K. Pyrazole scaffold‐based derivatives: A glimpse of α‐glucosidase inhibitory activity, SAR, and route of synthesis. Arch. Pharm. 2023, e2200421. https://doi.org/10.1002/ardp.202200421. (Impact factor 4.7).
- Jannat ul Firdaus, Nadeem Siddiqui, Ozair Alam, Ajay Manaithiya & Kailash Chandra. Identification of novel pyrazole containing ɑ-glucosidase inhibitors: insight into pharmacophore, 3D-QSAR, virtual screening, and molecular dynamics study, Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics. 2022 (online published) DOI: 10.1080/07391102.2022.2141893 (Impact factor 5.23).
- Modi M, Nandi K, Jain V, Chandra K*. A Comprehensive Stability Study of Glucose Concentrations Measured in Sodium Fluoride, Heparin and Serum Separator Tubes: A Cross-sectional Study. National journal of Laboratory Medicine. 2022 (in-press).
- Chandra K, Das AK, Banday S, Dhyani N, Upadhyay B, Dang A, Joshi S, Dudeja M. Phenotyping of lymphocyte subsets, Th 1/Th 2 cytokines and other parameters in high risk contacts of SARS CoV 2. Indian Journal of pathology and Microbiology. 2022 (in-press). I.F. 0.74.
- Chandra K, Das AK, Banday S, Rana NA, Arora M, Jain S, Islam F, Agarwal S, Kashyap V, Joshi S, Mueed A, Dudeja M. Efficacy of polyherbal formulations for prevention of COVID-19 infection in high-risk subjects: A randomized open-label controlled clinical trial. Phytotherapy Research. 2022 Jul 5:10.1002/ptr.7531. doi: 10.1002/ptr.7531. I.F. 6.4
- Chandra K, Dudeja M, Aalam K. Asymptomatic SARS-COV-2 carriage and sero-positivity in high-risk contacts of COVID-19 cases. Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2022. 40(2):279-284. I.F. 1.35
- Jain V, Jain SK, Chandra K*. Medicinal plants and phytochemicals in prevention and management of life style disorders: Pharmacological studies and challenges. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2021; 14:1-6
- Jain V, Nabi N, Chandra K*, Irshad S, Kashyap V, Kohli S, Gupta A. A comparative analysis of COVID-19 mortality rate across the globe: An extensive analysis of the associated factors. Journal of epidemiology and public health. 2021. 06(03): 307-319
- Chandra K, Jain V, Jain SK. Plasma Non-Esterified Fatty Acids (NEFA) in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Evidence on Pathophysiology. J Diabetes Clin Res. 2021; 3(2):46-50.
- Chandra K, Jain V, Azhar M, Khan W, Alam O, Ahmad S., Jain SK*. Effect of augmented glycation in mobilization of plasma free fatty acids in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews. 2020; 14: 1385-1389.
- Reyaz A, Alam S, Chandra K*, Kohli S, Agarwal S. Methylglyoxal and soluble RAGE in type 2 diabetes mellitus: Association with oxidative stress. Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders.2020; 19:515–521. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40200-020-00543-y
- Kandpal C.G, , Kumar R., Chandra K. Pandey S, Bisht T. Prevalence of hepatitis B virus genotype and sub-genotype in north and east region of India: DNA sequencing methodology. Current Trends in Biotechnology and Pharmacy 2020; 14:147-155.
- Chandra K., Jain SK, and Dwivedi S. The Role of Herbal Plants for the Management of Diabetes Mellitus: A Review. Cardiology today 2020; 24:74-81.
- Chandra K., Jain V., Jabeen A., Dwivedi S., Joshi S., Ahmad S., and Jain S.K. Effect of Cichorium intybus seeds supplementation on the markers of glycemic control, oxidative stress, inflammation, and lipid profile in type 2 diabetes mellitus: A randomized, double-blind placebo study. Phytotherapy Research, 2020; 34(7): 1609-1618. I.F-4.09.
- . Chandra K, Singh P, Dwivedi S, Jain SK. Diabetes mellitus and oxidative stress: A co-relative and therapeutic approach. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2019; 13(5):7-12. DOI: 10.7860/JCDR/2019/40628.12878.
- Balyan K, Sharma P, Chandra K, Agarwal S, and Jain SK. Oxidative stress is independent factor for end-stage renal disease in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Annals of National Academy of Medical Sciences. 2018;54(3):147-152
- Chandra K. and Iqbal J. Protein carbonylation in freshly diagnosed hypothyroidism is independent of thyrotropin levels. J Lab Med 2018. 42(5), pp. 177-181.
- Chandra K, Khan W, Jetley S, Ahmad S, Jain SK. Antidiabetic, toxicological, and metabolomic profling of aqueous extract of Cichorium intybus seeds. Phcog Mag 2018; 14:377-83.
- Juneja A, Dwivedi S, Srivastava DK, Chandra K. Insulin Resistance in young obese subjects and its relation to smoking (A Pilot Study). Ind J Clin Biochem. 2017 Mar;32(1):99-102.2016. doi:10.1007/s12291-016-0579-4
- Khursheed M., Chandra K., Srivastava DK. Incidence of non-structural protein (ns1) positivity & its Correlation with thrombocyte count & serum transaminase levels (dengue episode-2013: a retrospective study). Int J Pharm Bio Sci. 2014 ; 5 (3) : (B) 95 – 103
- . Chandra K., Upadhyay B, Khursheed M. A study on health status of Medical students based on their BMI and abdominal circumference. IJBAMR.2014;3:609-614
Research Work & Projects
- As co-investigator/Project coordinator/laboratory Head: Project title: Assessment of the role of Unani formulations in the prevention of COVID- 19 infection in high-risk population (Project approved by Ministry of AYUSH and sponsored by M/S Hamdard Laboratories India (Medicine Division). Total budget: 32.55 Lakhs
- As co-investigator/Project coordinator/laboratory Head: Project title: Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group, Multi-Centre Phase II/III Adaptive Clinical Trial to Assess the Safety and Immunogenicity of Gam-COVID- Vac Combined Vector Vaccine for SARS-Сov-2 Infection in Indian Healthy Subjects sponsored by Dr. Reddy‟s Laboratories Limited.
- As co-investigator/Project coordinator/laboratory Head: Project title: A phase 2/3, observer-blind, randomized, controlled study to determine the safety and immunogenicity of COVOVAX [sars-cov-2 recombinant spike protein nanoparticle vaccine (sars-cov-2 rs) with matrix-m1TM adjuvant] in Indian adults sponsored by Serum Institute of India and Indian Council of Medical Research, Govt. of India.
- Balaji Endowment Medal for Basic Experimental Research in Atherosclerosis given by Indian Society of atherosclerosis Research (ISARCON) during its 30th National Conference at AIIMS Patna dated 2nd -4 th November, 2017.
- SFE- young Ethnopharmacologist Award-2020 (P K Debnath Memorial Award) for best oral presentation in the field of Ethnopharmacology and Medicinal Plant Research. Research work was presented during 7th International Congress of the Society for Ethnopharmacology, India (SFEC-2020) at New Delhi, India (February 15-17, 2020).
Membership of Academic Bodies Societies
- Indian society of Atherosclerosis & International society of Atherosclerosis Research
- Indian society of Arthrosclerosis & Research-Delhi chapter (LM-52)
- Society for Ethnopharmacology (SFE- India), membership no- SFE/17/I-1028
Invited Talks and Lectures
- Invited Speaker, 32nd Annual conference and International Symposium of Indian Society for Atherosclerosis Resarch (ISARCON 2019), organized by Department of Biochemistry, Lady Harding Medical College, SSKH and KSCH, New Delhi, 2019.
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Organised
- Participated in the 7th International congress of Society for Ethnopharmacology, India (Theme: Ethnopharmacology in development of scientifically validated quality products from medicinal plants and regulatory aspects) as a Member Local Organizing Committee organized by Bioactive Natural Product Laboratory, SPER, Jamia Hamdard on 15-17th February 2020.
- Participated in the symposium on „Role of Biomedical Scientists in New India‟ as a Member organizing committee organized by NMMTA on 20th August 2018 at Constantina Hall, YWCA, New Delhi.
- Diabetes week celebration (CME on Woman and Diabetes & other activities) on 13th November 2017, organized by Departments of Biochemistry and Medicine, Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research & HAH Centenary Hospital as a Member organizing committee.
- 3rd one day National seminar on‟ Current regulation on herbal drugs and food supplements‟, organized by Department of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard as a Member Organizing Committee (16 May 2017).
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Attended
- Poster presented during National Science Day poster presentation, 28 February, 2017 organized by school of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.
- Participation in the seminar on NABL: Essential for Excellence organized by University college of Medical sciences and National Accreditation board for testing and calibration laboratories on 11th March 2017.
- Participation in the CME on Diagnosis and management of depression and anxiety disorders organized by Department of community medicine and psychiatry, HIMSR on 7 th April 2017 (2.5 credit hour by DMC. Vide its letter-2595/DMC/CME/16C/2/2017)
- Participants of „Together against depression‟ conducted by The Live Love Laugh foundation on 7 th April 2017 at Jamia Hamdard.
- Participation in the CME in Transfusion Medicine-2017 organized by Department of Pathology and Blood Bank, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard on 8 th August 2017.
- Participation in the Cardiovascular Research Convergence 2017 organized by Translational Health Sciences and Technology Institute (THSTI), Faridabad on 12th August 2017.
- Participation in the CME in Neurophysiology organized by Department of Physiology and Paramedical Sciences, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard on 12th September 2017.
- Participation in the Symposium in „Replacing regulatory experiments on animals: An introduction to In silico models and In vitro test method‟ organized by Department of Biochemistry , Institute of Home Economics, University of Delhi, New Delhi on 26th – 27th October 2017.
- Participated/ presented a poster during 18th International Congress of International society for Ethnopharmacology held at Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh during 13-15th January 2018.
- Participation/ poster presentation in the International conference in Vitamin D organized by Department of Food technology, Jamia Hamdard on September 15-16, 2018.
- Participation in the International symposium on Wheat related disorders at India Habitat Center, New Delhi organized by Celiac Society of India on January 12-13, 2019.
- Participation in the interactive session on „Phytopharmaceuticals: Development, Regulatory, IPR and Marketing challenges” organized by Department of Pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, SPER, Jamia Hamdard, sponsored by UGC-SAP (DRS-II) held on April 5, 2019.
- Attended 32nd annual conference of ISAR, organized by Department of Biochemistry, Lady Harding Medical College, New Delhi from 8-10 November 2019.
- Attended one day workshop on „GCMS METABOLOMICS‟ organized by Bioactive Natural Product Laboratory, Department of Pharmacognosy & Phytochemistry, SPER, Jamia Hamdard. New Delhi on 17th May 2017.
- Attended workshop on „Application of NMR Spectroscopy in Chemistry‟, organized by Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Jamia Hamdard dated December 14, 2017.
- Successfully completed 7 days workshop/hands on training on human/cancer cell culture techniques and MTT assay at International Center for stem cells, cancer and Biotechnology (ICSCCB), Pune, India dated 14 – 20 February 2019.
- Participated in the workshop on „Use of Smart Apps in health professions Education, at Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi on 23rd February 2019.
- Operator training Program on Beckman Coulter Biochemistry Autoanalyzer “AU-480” on 24 - 28 February 2019 at HAHC Hospital, New Delhi.
- Attended „Sensitization Programme for Attitude, Ethics, and communication (AETCOM) module‟ conducted by Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi, Regional Centre in Medical Education Technologies at Hamdard Institute of Medical Science and Research, Delhi on 17 October, 2019.
- Attended „Revised course workshop‟ conducted by Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi, Regional Centre in Medical Education Technologies at Hamdard Institute of Medical Science and Research, Delhi on 14 to 16 October, 2019.
- Attended a workshop cum Awareness program on “Pharmacovigilance: A tool to ensure drug safety” as delegate held on Thursday, 21 November, 2019.
- Attended a training program on “Good Clinical Laboratory Practices” at Clinical Development Service Agency, Faridabaad from January 30-31, 2020, organized by CDSA and BCIL for National Biopharma Mission, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India.