Dr. Jyotsna Agarwal
MBBS, MD Anaesthesia, Fellow of Interventional Pain Medicine & Diploma in Hospital Management
Associate professor, Department of Anaesthesia
Reg. Number: DMC-R-03282
Dr. Jyotsna Agarwal is Associate Professor Anaesthesiology in Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi, India. She did her Bachelors in Medicine and Surgery from the prestigious Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi and pursued post-graduation in Anesthesiology from Sawai Man Singh Medical College, Jaipur, India. She is trained in all specialities of anesthesiology including cardiac anesthesia, neuroanesthesia, bariatric anesthesia and interventional pain medicine. Dr. Agarwal has vast experience of catering to anesthesia needs of varied healthcare setups and patient population including Armed forces at Base Hospital, Delhi Cantt.
Dr. Agarwal is a medical teacher, academician and researcher with numerous publications as lead author in national and international journals. She has also authored several chapters and is the Adaptation Editor of ‘Stoelting’s Anesthesia and Co existing Diseases, 3rd South Asia Edition’. Along with anesthesiology, Dr. Agarwal has keen interest in medical ethics, healthcare quality management and patient safety, and has pursued Diploma in Hospital Management. She is a National External Assessor with “National Quality Assurance Standards” , NABH and Kayakalp which assesses the quality of public and private healthcare organizations in India. She is a member of various Anaesthesia societies and Forum for Ethics Review Committees in India and Technical advisor & Course Editor, Emergency and Surgical Care Program, Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Switzerland.
Area of Interest
- General Anesthesia
- Pain management
- Patient Safety
- Healthcare Quality
|Degree||Year||Name of College & University||Registration Number||Date of Registration|
|MD Anaesthesia||2009||Sawai Man Singh Medical College, Jaipur. Rajashan University of Health Science||DMC-R-03282|
|MBBS||2004||Maulana Azad Medical College, University of Delhi||DMC-R-03282|
Deatils of Teaching Experience
|Associate Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||20-06-2021||Till date|
|Associate Professor (Designate)||HIMSR, New Delhi||04-04- 2019||19-06-2019||2 months 15 days|
|Assistant Professor||Army College of Medical Sciences and Base Hospital, Delhi Cantt.||17-06-2013||27-03-2017||8 months 11 days|
|Assistant Professor||Vydehi Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore||30-07-2009||03-09- 2009||1 month 4 days|
|Senior Resident||G.B. Pant Hospital, New Delhi||31-12-2009||30-12-2012||3 years|
- Book Chapter “Manual resuscitators” – Dorsch and Dorsch Understanding Anaesthesia Equipments, South Asia Edition 2021.
- Gupta L, Agarwal J, Saxena KN. Opioid-free anaesthesia: The conundrum and the solutions. Indian J Anaesth 2022;66:S91-4.
- Chapter on Preanaesthesia Evaluation in Barash Clinical Anaesthesia, South Asian Edition 2021
- Adaptation Editor of prominent postgraduate book of anaesthesiology- Agarwal J, Parameswari A, Paul AK. Stoeltings Anesthesia and Co existing Disease.3rd edi. New Delhi. Elsevier;2020.
- Agarwal J, Das JK. Managerial challenges in establishing a structured cardiopulmonary resuscitation program in a small health-care setup. Acta Med Int. 2020;7:113-20.
- Datta R, Agrawal J, Narula G, Pahwa B. A fluoroscopic assessment of brachial plexus block by the supraclavicular approach: Have we been overmedicating? Med J Armed Forces India. 2020 ;76(4):410-417.
- Agarwal J, Datta R, Jaideep CN, Sharma Aa. Angelman syndrome and anesthetic considerations. Indian J Anaesth 2017; 61:78-80
- Datta R, Agrawal J, Sharma A, Rathore VS, Datta S. A study of efficacy of SGBs in complex regional pain syndromes of the upper body. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol 2017;33:534-40.
- Sharma MU, Ganjoo P, Singh D, Tandon MS, Agarwal J, Sharma DP, Jagetia A. Perioperative complications in endovascular neurosurgery: Anesthesiologist’s perspective. Asian J Neurosurg 2017; 12:6-12.
- Datta R, Purohit G, Agrawal J, Singh S. Pericardial tamponade: Rare complication of subclavian vein cannulation. Med J Armed Forces India. 2018 Jul;74(3):294-296.
- Datta R, Agarwal J, Sharma D. Anaesthetic considerations in an orphan disease with skeletal anomalies. Indian J Anaesth 2016;60:780-2.
- Authored Chapter on “ Evoked Potentials- Spinal Cord Monitoring.”- Year Book of Anesthesia (for 2017)
- Agarwal J, Ganjoo P, Hansda U, Sharma MU, Tandon MS, Singh D. Perioperative concerns in neurosurgical patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Asian J Neurosurg 2016;11:103-8.
- Tempe DK, Agarwal J, Chaudhary K. Carbapenem Resistance Patterns in General Intensive Care Unit of a Tertiary Care Hospital in India. MAMCJMed Sci 2015;1:85-91. Chapter on “Anesthesia for fetal surgeries” – Year Book of Anesthesia (2015), Jaypee Publications
- Authored an e-learning module on “Central Venous cannulation” (2014), Elsevier
- Tempe DK, Virmani S, Agarwal J, Hemrajani M, Satyarathi S, Minhas HS. The success rate and safety of internal jugular vein cannulation using anatomical landmark technique in patients undergoing cardiothoracic surgery. Ann Card Anaesth. 2013; 16 (1) : 16-20.
- Agarwal J, Tandon MS, Singh D, Ganjoo P. Quadriplegia in a child following adenotonsillectomy: A Case Report. Anaesthesia. 2013; 68: 523-6.
- Hansdah U, Agarwal J, Patra C, Ganjoo P. Extradural hematoma surgery in a child with Hutchinson Gilford Progeria Syndrome: Perioperative concerns. J Pediatr Neurosci. 2013; 8 (2): 165-7.
- Tempe DK, Hasija S, Malik I, Agarwal J. Interesting Images: TEE images of aorto-pulmonary (central) shunt. Ann Card Anaesth. 2011; 14 (3): 230-1.
Research Work & Projects
- A study of patient’s knowledge and awareness of patient factors influencing perioperative risks and their perception of their participation in enhancing their own perioperative safety. (Institutional ethics committee Jan 2020)
- Correlation of preoperative IVC collapsibility with preoperative fasting status, patient demography and general anaesthesia induced hypotension: a prospective observational study (HIMSR / IEC/005/2020)
- Comparison of phenylephrine versus norepinephrine infusion for prevention and treatment of maternal hypotension during spinal anaesthesia for elective caesarean section: A Randomized, Double Blind Study.
- Comparison of the efficacy of ultrasound- guided erector spinae plane block performed with different concentrations of bupivacaine for postoperative analgesia, reduction in perioperative stress markers and patient satisfaction in laparoscopic cholecystectomy patients: A Prospective, Randomized, Double blind, Controlled Clinical trial.
- Comparison of effects of intravenous infusion of dexmedetomidine versus low dose ketamine - dexmedetomidine combination on spinal block, surgical stress response and discharge readiness from PACU in orthopedic patients - A Prospective, Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial.
- Successfully completed ‘Basic Course in Bio Medical Research’ by ICMR / NIE, December 2020
- Successfully completed Good Clinical Practice course by NIDA Clinical trial Network,
- Master Class - Infection Control in Intensive Care & Operating Units!, Research Foundation of Hospital & Healthcare Administration (2020).
- Course in Medical Ethics, Public Health Foundation of India, New Delhi (2019).
- Joint Commission International (JCI) “Practicum” (2018).
- Diploma in Hospital Management from National Institute of Health and Family Welfare (N. Delhi, India), 2018.
- Clinical Observership in Bariatric Anesthesia from Homerton University Hospital, London (U.K.) (Mar 2017).
- Fellowship on Pain Management, Aesculap Academy (July 2013).
- Post Doctoral Certificate Course in Pain Management, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi (Jan 2013- April 2013).
- Awarded R. Vishwanathan Prize for securing highest percentage of marks in Medicine in Delhi University (2004).
- Awarded Dr. K.K.Modawal Memorial Gold Medal for Best Student in Medicine (2004).
- Awarded Captain S.S. Rampal Gold Medal for Best Student in Medicine and Surgery (2004).
- Awarded Lord Shiva Charitable Trust Award for the Best Girl Student in Medicine (2004).
- Awarded Dr. Sanjay Sidhwa Gold Medal for Best Student in Medicine (2004).
Membership of Academic Bodies Societies
- Editorial Board, Journal of Anaesthesiology and Critical Pharmacology.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Anaesthesiology and Clinical Pharmacology
- Technical advisor & Course Editor, Cancer in Global Health, Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Switzerland (2021)
- DNB National Examiner.
- Technical Advisor, Essential and Surgical Care Program, Geneva foundation of medical education and research, Geneva, Switzerland.
- National External Assessor with NQAS (National Quality Assurance Standards) and Kayakalp , NABH (entry level) NABH Entry level assessor.
- Life Member “Forum for ethics review committees in India” – L 160.
- Member of International Society for Quality in Healthcare (ISQua) – 1006633
- Indian Society of Anaesthesiology : J0843
- Indian College of Anaesthesiologists : 536
- Indian Society for Study of Pain : 1959
- Airway Management Foundation: AMF-375-2019
- Research Society of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology (RSACP): J-152-L
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Organised
- Workshop on (THE MAP) “Management of Airway & Pain”, 30th March 2022, Department of Anaesthesia, HIMSR
- CME on celebration of World Patient Safety Day on 18th September 2021 by Deptt. Of Anesthesia., HIMSR
- World Patient Safety Day, Sept 2020, on ‘Healthcare Worker Safety’ on World Patient Safety Day.
- HIMSR Anaesthesia CME- Cutting edge topics, March 2020.
- “Perioperative Patient Safety” on World Patient Safety Day 2019.
- “FORTICON Jan 2018”- CME Hands On Workshop on Ultrasound Guided Truncal Blocks, Fortis Aashlok Hospital, N. Delhi.
- “FORTICON- Sept 2017” - CME Hands On Workshop on Ultrasound Guided Brachial Plexus Blocks, Fortis Aashlok Hospital, N. Delhi.
- Resuscitation 2015”, Training in Cardiac and Trauma Resuscitation, May 2015, Base Hospital, New Delhi.
- “Resuscitation 2014”, Training in Cardiac and Trauma Resuscitation, October 2014, Base Hospital, New Delhi.
- 4th Mid Term Conference and 5th Convocation of Indian College of Anesthesiologists “Charting the Course Ahead”, June 2014, Base Hospital, New Delhi.
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Attended
- Panelist in 68th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists on ‘PreHospital Trauma care, November 2021.
- Speaker in 2nd International Conference of Indian College of Anaesthesiologists. On topic “Anaesthesia for endoscopies and bronchoscopies” December 2021.
- Speaker in 68th annual conference of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists, November 2021.
- Participated in Programme on implementation of NABH, 5th edition Standards for Hospital. Jun 2021.
- E- Paper on ‘Intraoperative atypical takutsubo Cardiomyopathy’in Midterm conference of society of Defence Anaesthesiologists and Inter command CME: Base hospital, Delhi Cantt, 29-30th August 2021. Ali Saloda, Jyotsna Agarwal, Pratibha. Panjiar, Kharat Mohd Butt
- Revised Basic Course Workshop on Medical Education at Hamdard Institute of Medical science and Research, April 2021
- Speaker on ‘Applications in Ultrasound in Anaesthesia” in Midterm conference of society of Defence Anaesthesiologists and Inter command CME: Base hospital, Delhi Cantt, 29-30th August 2021.
- Research Society of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology RSACPCON 2021, 6th to 7th March 2021
- Anaesthesia Post graduate Pre Examination Course (APPEC) Feb 2021.
- CME : Anesthesia Update 2020: Upcoming & Promising Areas in Anaesthesia on 29th Feburary 2020.
- 59th annual Conference of ISA Delhi State chapter, Oct 2020.
- Ramachandra Anesthesia Continuing Education , Chennai 2020.
- Post graduate lecture in PGA UCMS 2019, Annual conference of Indian College of Anesthesiologists ICACON 2019, New Delhi.
- Critical Care : a Paradigm Shift, UCMS, N. Delhi, 2019.
- ISACON (Nov) 66th Annual conference of Indian Society of Anesthesiologists, Agra. 2018
- ISSPCON , 33rd National Conference of Indian Society for Study of Pain, N.Delhi 2018
- 56th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Anesthesiologists, Delhi chapter 2017.
- 55th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Anesthesiologists(ISA), ISACON DELHI, Apr 2016 at All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS), N.Delhi. “Judge for poster presentation’
- AIIMS ULTRASOUND TRAUMA LIFESUPPORT, September 2015.