Dr. Yasir Alvi
Assistant professor, Department of Community Medicine
Reg. Number: DMC-09565
A researcher and an academician with 6+ years of experience in teaching medicine, patients’ care, epidemiological studies and researches. An instructor for Epidemiological Research Unit, possess expertise in biomedical research, bio statistics, data analysis and research tools including SPSS, Microsoft excel and Mendeley. Holds membership of multiple professional associations including International Epidemiological Association, Statistics without Borders, IAPSM and IPHA. An alumnus of the Aligarh Muslim University (MBBS and MD) and International Public Health University (IPHU). Currently works as an Assistant Professor of Community Medicine at Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi since 2020.
Area of Interest
- HIV/AIDS, health systems, epidemiology and infectious diseases.
|Degree||Year||Name of College & University||Registration Number||Date of Registration|
|MBBS||2013||JN Medical College, AMU, Aligarh||DMC-66919|
|MD||2017||JN Medical College, AMU, Aligarh||DMC-09565|
Deatils of Teaching Experience
|Assistant Professor||HIMSR, New Delhi||10-06- 2020||Till date|
|Senior Resident||JN Medical College, AMU, Aligarh||14-09-2017||11-06-2020||2 Years 9 month|
|Junior Resident||JN Medical College, AMU, Aligarh||13-07-2014||12-07-2017||3 Years|
- Dudeja M, Shaikh A, Islam F, Alvi Y, Ahmad M, Kashyap V, et al. Assessment of Potential Risk Factors for COVID-19 among Health Care Workers in a Health Care Setting in Delhi, India -A Cohort Study. PloS one. 2023 Jan 20;18(1):e0265290.
- Alvi Y, Sameen S, Khalique N. HIV/AIDS and Depression: When two conditions coincide – Prevalence and associated factors. Online Journal of Health & Allied Sciences. 2022;21(3):7.
- 1. Sehgal S, Khan S, Jetley S, Alvi Y. Evaluation of Abnormal Hemoglobin Variants and Hemoglobinopathies on D-10 analyzer – An Institutional Experience from North India. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2022;21(2):10
- 2. Bhatnagar T, Chaudhuri S, Ponnaiah M, Yadav PD, Sabarinathan R, Sahay RR, et al. Effectiveness of BBV152/Covaxin and AZD1222/Covishield vaccines against severe COVID-19 and B.1.617.2/Delta variant in India, 2021: a multi-centric hospital-based case-control study. International Journal of Infectious Diseases [Internet]. 2022 Sep 1 [cited 2022 Sep 22]; 122:693.
- 3. Dudeja M, Sharma P, Islam F, Shaikh A, Singh FH, Alvi Y, et al. A hospital-based prospective cohort study to assess the factors associated with transmission dynamics of SARS CoV-2 among healthcare workers in Delhi. F1000Research. 2022 Jul 1;11(728):728.
- 4. Lewis HC, Marcato AJ, Meagher N, Valenciano M, Villanueva-Cabezas JP, Spirkoska V, et al. Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in standardised First Few X cases and household transmission investigations: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Influenza Other Respi Viruses. 2022;1–17
- 5. Faizi N, Alvi Y, Saraaswat A, Yasir M. Knowledge, attitude, practice and pattern of substance use among adolescents and young adults from Aligarh, India. Indian J Comm Health. 2021;33(4):615-620.
- 6. Faridi SA, Harris SH, Alvi Y. Evaluation of predictors of mortality in patients of ruptured liver abscess: a prospective study. Int Surg J 2021;8:3639-44.
- 7. Akhtar MS, Alam P, Alvi Y, Khan IR, Rizvi SAA, Raza. MH. Intraoperative predictors of Difficult laparoscopic cholecystectomy – AMU scoring system. World Journal of Laparoscopic Surgery. 2021;14(2):114–118.
- 8. Islam F, Agarwalla R, Panda M, Alvi Y, Singh V, Debroy A, et al. Assessment of the knowledge, preferences and concern regarding the prospective COVID- 19 vaccine among adults residing in New Delhi, India-A cross sectional study. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2021; 10:2369-75.
- 9. Abdullah A, Askari S N, Ahmad S, Alvi Y, Assessment and comparison of clinico-microbiological efficacy of moxifloxacin plus vancomycin combined therapy with fortified vancomycin in bacterial keratitis. Indian J Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2021;7(2):327-332
- 10. Siddiqui Z, Bhatia S, Abdullah A, Alvi Y. Comparative assessment of pain in sequential cataract surgery with topical phacoemulsification- a prospective observational study from a tertiary care hospital in Uttar Pradesh. J Evid Based Med Health. 2021;8(23)
- 11. Faizi N, Alvi Y. Comment on:“Disease-Specific Out-of-Pocket Payments, Catastrophic Health Expenditure and Impoverishment Effects in India: An Analysis of National Health Survey Data”. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy. 2021 Apr 27:1-2.
- 12. Khan A, Shaikh N, Alvi Y, Gupta P, Mehdi R, Siddiqui A. Blood pressure control measured as “time in range” during initial 24 h for inpatients with spontaneous nontraumatic intracerebral haemorrhage. Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 2021 May 5:117480.
- 13. Khan F, Chaudhary B, Sultan A, Ahmad M, Alvi Y, Shah MS, Khan HM. Qualitative Thematic Analysis of Knowledge and Practices of Surgical Antimicrobial Prophylaxis at a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital. Surgical Infections. 2021 May 1;22(4):434-41.
- 14. Khan SM, Ahmad A, Khalique N, Alvi Y, Faizi N. A Study of Work Environment & Social Problems of Female Safai Karamcharis Registered in Nagar Nigam Aligarh. International Archives of BioMedical And Clinical Research. 2021;7(1):CM1–CM5.
- 15. Khan F, Chaudhary B, Sultan A, Sultan A, Alvi Y, Ahmad M, Kumar P, et al. Surgical antimicrobial prophylaxis: Knowledge and Compliance of guidelines among surgeons in a tertiary care teaching hospital. Journal of Patient Safety and Infection Control. 2021;9(2):40-47
- 16. Alvi Y, Khalique N, Ahmad A, Shah MS, Faizi N. Quality of life among people living with HIV/AIDS receiving Highly Active Anti-retroviral therapy: A domain-based analysis. Indian Journal of Community and Family Medicine. 2020;6(2):125-31
- 17. Ahmad A, Ahmad SZ, Khalique N, Ashraf M, Alvi Y. Prevalence and associated factor of Glaucoma in Aligarh, India – A population based study. Delhi Journal of Ophthalmology. 2020;31(1):36-40
- 18. Alvi Y, Faizi N, Khalique N, Ahmad A. Assessment of out-of-pocket and catastrophic expenses incurred by patients with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) in availing free antiretroviral therapy services in India. Public Health. 2020 Jun 1; 183:16-22.
- 19. Shaan ZH, Alvi Y, Ahmad S, Jilani LZ, Faizan M, Fatima ZH. Assessment of Vitamin d deficiency among older adult patients with an orthopaedic fracture and its association with increasing age. Fam Med Prim Care Rev 2019; 21(4): 372–376
- 20. Alvi Y, Khalique N, Ahmad A, Urfi. Prevalence of Sexually Transmitted Infections and its Associated factors among Women living with HIV/AIDS. Indian Journal of Community health. 2019;31(3):363-370.
- 21. Kumar S, Gour SK, Azmi SA, Alvi Y. Pattern of behavioral and psychological symptoms in patients with Major Neurocognitive Disorder attending Psychogeriatric OPD in tertiary care teaching hospital. Delhi J Phiaciatry. 2019; 22 (2): 296-302
- 22. Akhtar MS, Mani SK, Alvi Y, Alam P, Rizvi SAA, Raza MH. Desarda versus Lichtenstein technique of inguinal hernia repair: A comparative study. International Surgery Journal. 2019 Oct;6(10):3719-3726
- 23. Alam P, Akhtar MS, Alvi Y, Rizvi SAA, Raza MH. A Study of Factors Determining Difficult Surgery among patients undergoing Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. International Surgery Journal. 2019 Aug 28;6(9):3322-7
- 24. Ahmad SZ, Ahmad A, Khalique N, Alvi Y. A community based study of scenario of glaucoma in Aligarh, India. Int J Community Med Public Health 2019 Sep;6(9)
- 25. Alvi Y, Khalique N, Ahmad A, Sameen S. A Study on Side Effect of Antiretroviral Therapy Among People living with HIV/AIDS. J Pharmacovig Drug Safety. 2019;16(1):22-25.
- 26. Shan ZH, Alvi Y, Ahmad S, Jilani LZ, Faizan M, Asif N. Hypovitaminosis D in elderly patients presenting with fractures. Orthop J MPC 2019:25(1):17- 22
- 27. Alvi Y, Khalique N, Ahmad A, Khan HS, Faizi N. World Health Organization Dimensions of Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy: A Study at Antiretroviral Therapy Centre, Aligarh. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 2019;44(2):118-24
- 28. Alvi Y, Khalique N, Ahmad A, Khan HS, Faizi N. Prevalence of depression among HIV-positive patients treated with antiretrovirals at different stage of infection. HIV & AIDS Review. 2018;17(4):243–8. Available from: doi/10.5114/hivar.2018.80255
- 29. Abdullah A, Askari SN, Ahmad S, Alvi Y. Assessment and Comparison of Microbiological Efficacy of Moxifloxacin plus Vancomycin Combined Therapy with Fortified Vancomycin in Bacterial Conjunctivitis. International Archives of BioMedical And Clinical Research. 2018;4(3)
- 30. Anjum S, Gade PR, Garg N, Bano I, Alvi Y. Maternal Outcome with Discontinuation of Magnesium Sulfate immediately Postpartum in Severe Preeclampsia. J South Asian Feder Obst Gynae 2017;9(2):84-87.
- 31. Alvi Y, Rahman SZ, Zaheer MS. A study of 'rational use of investigations' in a tertiary hospital. International Journal of Collaborative Research on Internal Medicine and Public Health. 2012;4(6):1265-75.
Research Work & Projects
- . Assessment of comparative performance (efficacy and safety) of C-TB with QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus and 2 T.U. Tuberculin PPD RT23 SSI in Tube for detection of TB infection in Children and adolescents
- Situation analysis of initial phase of programmatic management of Tuberculosis Preventive Treatment among household contacts of pulmonary TB patients in selected districts in Delhi
- A quantitative and qualitative assessment of adherence to Isonizid preventive therapy among children living with tuberculosis patients
- Community based serosurveillance and incidence of dengue among residents of south Delhi, India
- Effectiveness of Covaxin and Covishield vaccines against severe COVID-19 in India, 2021: Multi-centric hospital-based case control study
- Assessment of comparative performance (efficacy and safety) of C-Tb with QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus and 2 T.U. Tuberculin PPD RT23 SSI for detection of TB infection in general and key population
- An interventional study to assess impact of behavior modification therapy versus brief advise for tobacco cessation among adult tobacco users residing in a resettlement colony of Delhi
- Assessment of Potential Risk Factors for COVID – 19 among Health Care Workers in a Health Care Setting in Delhi, India
- An epidemiological study to assess household transmission and associated risk factors for COVID - 19 Disease among residents of Delhi, India
- Cross sectional study to assess perception and proportion of sexual harassment among working women in health sector of India – An exploration of Facts
- Rational use of investigations in a tertiary hospital
- Socio-economic issues and Health Problems among students in Madrasa of Aligarh city
- Drugs adherence and its determinants in HIV/AIDS patients on anti retroviral therapy
- Rapid assessment of knowledge and practices regarding maternal, infant and young child nutrition (MIYCN) among the obstetricians and
- Drug Abuse Prevention- A collaborative project with National Institute of Social Defense, under the National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction (NAPDDR-2018-23)
- Supportive Supervisor and Monitor, IAPPD Integrated Action Plan for Prevention and Control of Pneumonia and Diarrhoea
- Supportive Supervisor and Monitor, ASHA Training Quality Assurance in Home based Neonatal Care in Uttar Pradesh
- Supportive Supervisor and Monitor, Effective Vaccine Management Assessment in Uttar Pradesh Saving Newborn Lives in Uttar Pradesh through Improved Management of Birth Asphyxia- End line Assessment
- Basic Course in Biomedical Research, (NMC): ICMR, Chennai: NIE-ICMR e-certificate course. 2021
- Revised Basic Course Workshop in Medical Education Technologies: MAMC, New Delhi, 2021
- Faculty Development program: Open Source Learning Management System: Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment (MOODLE). Spoken Tutorial Project, IIT Bombay. 2020
- Implementation Research: TDR, WHO. 2020
- Health Financing Universal Health Coverage: WHO. 2020
- Good Clinical Practice Guidelines and New Drugs & Clinical Trials Rules, 2019 (GCP training). Centre for Health Research and Development. 2020
- Open Source Learning Management System: Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment (MOODLE). Spoken Tutorial Project, IIT Bombay. 2020
- Health Systems Strengthening : University of Melbourne, Nossal Institute of Global Health & UNICEF. 2019
- The struggle for health in South Asia: Access to Medicines 2018 People’s Health Movement (PHM) and Third World Network (TWN)
- ICMR-Short Term Studentship 2009 for the project titled as Rational use of investigation in management of patient as a part of good clinical practice.
- SORT-IT, The UNION: 2022
Membership of Academic Bodies Societies
- Member of International Epidemiology Association since 2020
- Lifetime Member of Indian association of Community Medicine, since 2016
- Lifetime Member of Indian association of Public Health, since 2018
- Member of Statistics without Borders
- Alumni and Member, People’s Health Movement and International Public Health University
- Co-ordinator AIDS cell, Ibn Sina Academy, Aligarh
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Organised
- Organizing Secretary of a workshop on ‘Efficient, Quality-assured Data Capture Using a Mobile Phone (EpiCollect) & Reference Management (Zotero) on 23rd January 2021, HIMSR, New Delhi.
- Co-ordinator AIDS cell, Ibn Sina Academy, Aligarh
- Organizing member of 21st IAPSM UPUKCON Annual Conference of Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine, State chapter.
- Organizing member of 9th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Rational Pharmacotherapeutics (ISRPTCON-2017)
- Organizing member of epidemiological investigation and medical relief team for Kashmir flood victims in Sep 2014.
Workshops/ CMEs/ Conference Attended
- Measles- Rubella Surveillance training workshop for medical officers – 26th and 27th August 2021, HIMSR, New Delhi.
- Dissemination workshop of WHO unity research projects, 11th November 2021, HIMSR, New Delhi.
- Overview of Good Clinical Practice Guidelines and New Drugs & Clinical Trail Rules, 2019, Organized by the Centre for Health Research ad Development, Society for Applied Studies, New Delhi, Held on 26, Novermeber, 2020
- POSHANCON 2020 First National Conferences of Maternal, Infant and Young Child Nutrition national working group of IAPSM (MIYCN-IAPSM), held on 16th and 17th Oct, 2020
- 64th IPHACON Annual National Conference of Indian Association of Public Health, held on 29th Feb – 2nd March 2020, AIIMS, New Delhi.
- 22st IAPSM UPUKCON Annual Conference of Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine, State chapter, held on 14th – 15th December 2019, Agra, UP
- UP PATHCON 2019, the XXVIIth Annual Conference of Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists (IAPM) UP Chapter held on 16 - 17 NOVEMBER, 2019 in Aligarh.
- Update on Common & Not so Common Pediatric Problems, held on 25th August, 2019, Organized by Dept. of Pediatrics, JNMC, AMU Aligarh.
- International People’s Health Movement course on Access to Medicines, 5 – 13 Nov, 2018, Savar, Bangladesh.
- 21st IAPSM UPUKCON Annual Conference of Indian Public Health Association, State chapter, held on 26th – 27th October 2018, Aligarh, UP
- Efficient Quality-assured Data Capture using EpiData 2018 International Union Against TB & Lung Diseases (IUATLD) held on 24th – 25th April 2018, Aligarh, UP
- Workshop on Data Analysis for Medical Professional, held on 28-29 April, 2016, organised by Department of Community Medicine, JNMC, AMU Aligarh.
- 43rd Annual National Conference of Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine & Joint Gujarat State Conference of IAPSM (XXIII) and IPHA (V), held on 7-9th January, 2016 organised by Department of Community Medicine, GMERS, Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- CME cum Workshop on Sleep and Non-Invasive Ventilation, held on 30th January, 2016 by Department of Pulmonary Medicine, , J.N. Medical College, AMU, Aligarh.
- XVIII Annual Conference Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine UP & UK State Chapter held on 9-10 October, 2015 organised by Department of Community Medicine, BRD Medical College, Gorakhpur, UP
- 42nd Annual National Conference of Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine held on 26-28 February, 2015 organised by King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, UP
- International symposium and slide session on women’s (breast and GYN) Pathology. 6th & 7th February 2015. JNMC, AMU Aligarh.