About the Department
The department was established in 2011 with office in the main HIMSR building and clinical work in old hospital complex, erstwhile Majeedia Hospital. The office and OPD was later shifted to the first floor of New OPD block within the Jamia Hamdard campus.
Graduate and Postgraduate programs offered by the department:
- MS Ophthalmology
The department strives to be the leader in providing state of the art health care facility accessible and affordable to all the sections of the society. Besides it endeavors to be the center of excellence in teaching and training of graduate and post graduate healthcare workers who are competent to provide medical care of international standards but in a regional context, and in alignment with goals of National Program for the control of blindness and rehabilitation of the visually challenged.
Patient care remains the central aspect by preservation and restoration of vision at every stage.
We are committed to using our skills with compassion, humane and ethical manner
- Nurturing an academic and patient care environment conducive to acquiring and imparting high-quality education
- Providing promotive, preventive and curative services to the community
- Conducting scientific research
We realise the importance of vision and hence focus in reducing the load of preventable and curable blindness along with rehabilitation of the visually challenged through designing and execution of not only hospital based but also population-based outreach programmes.
Research and Thrust Areas
- Childhood Blindness with stress on prevention and management
- Glaucoma with emphasis on early diagnosis, preventive and curative measures
- Diabetic retinopathy with stress on epidemiological studies
- Control of preventable blindness especially Cataract, Refractive errors
- Rehabilitation of the visually challenged
- Presently we have 30 beds in General Ward with separate female and male facility and also double and single Private Rooms.
- Two well equipped operation theatres and one minor operation theatre.
- Out-patient department has four doctor’s consultation room, two optometrists and workup rooms.
- Well-equipped state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic facility:
- Fundus Photography – high definition photography of inside of the eye to see retina, macula and optic disc in diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, age related macular degeneration etc.
- Fundus Fluorescein Angiography –Angiography is a medical imaging and diagnostic technique for visualising the blood vessels in the retina and the choroid. Commonly advised for Vitreous Haemorrhage, Age related Macular Degeneration and neo vascularisation in diabetic retinopathy
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) – (Anterior and Posterior segment)- A well-established medical imaging and diagnostic technique. Helps in diagnosis and planning of treatment.
- B-Scan and A-Scan (Ultrasound) – Medical imaging technique using ultrasonic waves to get a two-dimensional cross-sectional view of the entire eye and orbit.
- YAG Laser: Used to treat posterior capsular opacification, peripheral Iridotomy, as part of treatment of glaucoma
- Humphry Visual Field analyser: Used to determine visual field defects
- Automated Pachymeter: Used to measure corneal thickness
- Photo slit Lamp: for anterior segment imaging
- Non-contact Tonometer, Applanation Tonometer: For intraocular pressure measurement
- Facility for Biometry: To calculate Intraocular lens power.
- Computerised Vision Testing (Auto-refractors): To determine the refractive errors.
- Keratometer: For measuring the curvature of the cornea across various meridians.
- Operating Microscopes with AV system
- Phacoemulsification machine
- Vitrectomy machine
- Minor operation theatre maintained under strict sterile conditions with operating microscope.
The department has dedicated and sincere team of doctors who match your concerns with accurate diagnosis and treatments.
Cataract: Small incision suture less surgery- phacoemulsification and small incision cataract surgery
Glaucoma: Medical treatment, Lasers and surgery
Squint and Paediatric Ophthalmology:
- Squint- surgery, orthoptic treatment.
- Eye diseases in children
Medical Retina and Uvea
Cornea and External eye diseases: Keratoplasty (Graft-outsourced), Pterygium surgery
Spectacles and Contact Lens
Patient Care Statistics
We maintain a strict and meticulous record of all patient care related data and periodically review and audit the same. We are proud to announce that our statistics show consistent improvement which reflects well on the quality of care we provide.