Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) also known as “Physiatry” or “Rehabilitation Medicine” is a branch of modern medicine which aims to enhance and restore functional ability and quality of life to those with physical impairments or disabilities affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, muscles and tendons.
The goals of the physiatrist are to maximize patients’ independence in activities of daily living and improve quality of life.
Patients seen in PMR dept.:-
- Any person with locomotor disabilities – amputees, polio, spinal cord injury etc
- Pediatric issues- Cerebral Palsy, developmental delay, muscular dystrophy, genu valgum/varus, meningomyelocoele etc
- Musculoskeletal problems: neck pain, back pain, knee pain, plantar fasciitis, tennis elbow etc
- Cumulative trauma disorders: De quervains tenosynovitis, carpal Tunnel syndrome etc
- Neurological/neurosurgical cases for rehab management: stroke, bells Palsy, Traumatic brain injury, Multiple sclerosis, GBS etc
- Sports injuries- ligament sprain/strain, achillis tendinitis, runners knee etc
- Non-healing ulcers – diabetic foot ulcers, pressure ulcers etc
- Geriatric issues: senile osteoporosis, OA knee
- Pulmonary rehabilitation- COPD and other chronic respiratory disease that requires pulmonary rehabilitation
Services provided in PMR department at present in HIMSR and HAHC hospital:-
- PMR OPD – Detailed Assessment and management
- IPD Referrals for PMR
- Interventional Pain Management